How to copy & paste surface settings WITH shader type?

cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042

In the surfaces tab, you can select one or more surfaces and do copy surface, then paste to other surfaces. However, when you do this, it does NOT copy the shader type, only the parameters that have matching names between the two shader types. So if you copy from an UberSurface to a DAZDefault, for example, you don't get the expected results. Is there some magic key combination or other trick that will make it also copy the surface type in addition to the surface parameters?

I'm trying to mix and match human skin shaders with the Bot shaders in the new Bot Genesis, and it not switching the shader type is really making a pain of it.

Thanks!

Comments

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

I f you apply any shader of the same type to the surface first, you can then copy a shader of the same type onto it. But not otherwise, s far as I know.

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

A workaround is to load the surface into Shader Mixer; select the surface you want to copy the shader/texture to and click apply.

In detail;
    1. Select the material/surface you want to copy.
    2. Click Windows>Tabs>Shader Mixer.
    3. In the Shader Mixer tab; click File>Import From Scene... and select Material in the Drop-down box (it's already pre-selected) and click Accept.
    4. In the Surfaces tab; select the surface you want to copy the shader/texture to and click Apply in the lower right corner of the Shader Mixer tab.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I found the Shader Mixer route googling last night. Guess I'll put in a feature request for this, as it should really be available as part of copy/paste (as a modifier at least) and not require a lot of manual extra steps like it currently does.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Yeah, there are several other copy/paste operations that could stand getting a little more robust, too.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited June 2021

@cwichura

When you open a thread and figure out the step by step solution, thanks to share it instead of just stating that you found it out somewhere. 

Copy / Paste Shader in DAZ :

Surface Selection Tool (Alt+Shift+M) : Select the surface you need to copy onto another : File>Save as>Shader Preset....

Select now the surface of the other object : File>Merge

This will load and apply the Shader Preset (.duf) file you just saved. 

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

I don't think you can copy/paste a Uber shader onto a none one, Save the Uber shader as a shader to your library and then apply it and it should work.  Use CONTROL as mentioned above to not include the associated texture map.