ALEMBIC exporter BUG? UVmaps broken

Hello everyone!

I think i found an issue with the alembic exporter (version 1.0.2.118)

I am searching for a way to export my figures (Genesis 3 with HD details) to 3DS max 2016 without any success for almost a year. Now i tried the alembic exporter and it seems to work fine when i check the "Preserve SubDivision Surfaces" checkbox on the export window. But again... problems. This time its the UV mapping. I have attached two screen shots. All two do not use any special materials of 3ds Max. Just a Standard material and a Checker as diffuse source. One image is a FBX export with working UVs but with horrible resolution (SubD modifies would not show HD details or have issues with teeth) and the other is the alembic exportet image. I'm sure you can see what i mean by looking at these. I am rendering with V-Ray 3.40. Do you have any idea what i can do to fix the UVs?

What i tried so far:

• Googling
  • Using the original textures as diffues
  • Using a way more complex skin shader with diffuse-,bump- and specular maps
  • Unchecking the "Preserve SubDivision Surfaces" checkbox. But then i am not ably to apply any material at all except eye brows and teeth. everything renders black
  • Using different modifies and convertions to editable poly/mesh in 3ds Max
  • Tried rendering in V-Ray 3.20 instead of 3.40
  • Tried a different pose
  • Checked for software updates

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thank you and have a nice day!

fbx.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 360K
alembic.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 468K

Comments

• smaker1smaker1 Posts: 275

Long time I didn't make  an abc export ! If I remember well:

- the "preserve subdivision surface" is mandatory to keep correct UV

- I tick all options for abc export and it works well for Octane Render

• Please let me correct my initial post:
    when i check the "Preserve SubDivision Surfaces" option, the figures are exported in their base mesh and imported into 3ds Max as the base mesh with a subdivision modifier added to them. This modifier does a bad job because no hd details are preserved and subdividing makes the teeth ugly. Disabling the "Preserve SubDivision Surfaces" checkbox does export the figure in a perfect mesh but the UV maps are broken.

Are there fixes for this? Anyone knows what to do?

Thanks a lot!

Manuel

• smaker1smaker1 Posts: 275

Hello Manuel

I confirm ! 

I made a test with Eva HD and abc export with "preserve Subd surface": it's the base mesh not the high definition one. More: I tried different option exports and had plenty of crashes in Octane

Tried with exporting the base mesh and all works well in Octane. The size of the abc file was the same 

Don't remember If I made HD exports previously but yes: there is troublesad

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

I actually have sent  support ticket, to get confrim about Alemibc exporter. whether it can record HD detail as actuall vector or not.

becaues even though it can export as sub-D mesh, it never means, the mesh include HD morphs detail. But if Alembic exporter export them as base mesh, there is no chance to keep the delta.

though I do not know, if it is importer of 3ds MAX problem or not.

I asked ithis last weeks friday. then support reply me,   consult with the devs an this and will get back to you. on Friday. after all, I still not get reply from support. Though I do not expect much any more, but I  feel, to get confrm about  which user may not hope,  usually take long time to get official confirm.

• ctddctdd Posts: 0

Any update on this please? I'm considering to buy Alembic, but need to know if it will work with my workflow ending in Maya 2017. Otherwise, it will be a waste of money. Is version 1.0.2.118 still the latest? Or did they release an update fixing this issue? Thanks a lot.

• Daedalus-7Daedalus-7 Posts: 198

2020 confirmed still broken.

• I am having this problem with the newest versions of DAZ, Alembic Exporter and 3ds Max 2020. I have submitted a ticket today, this needs to be fixed right away!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054
    edited July 2020

you could try The Mystery is the Point's Alembic exporter

version 2 next page

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5636136/#Comment_5636136

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • you could try The Mystery is the Point's Alembic exporter

version 2 next page

Thanks mate but it seems the plugin is made for Blender only and I for one use 3ds Max :(

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054

you could try The Mystery is the Point's Alembic exporter

version 2 next page

Thanks mate but it seems the plugin is made for Blender only and I for one use 3ds Max :(

I own the DAZ one too and it won't work with Blender but AFAIK this one should still work with other softwares 

can only try, it's free

version 2 next page

Responding here as well as the other thread so that more people know: Open Source means that the creator cares about you and the success of your endeavors above all.

I can't promise that materials will be seamless as with Blender because Alembic does not represent materials, only the surfaces they are applied to, and it only leverages the materials converted by the Diffeo or DTB plugins, but I'm more than willing to make any changes to better support other workflows. It's design up until now has been influenced only by the shortcomings in my own worflow that I wanted to resolve or automate.

Like Richard M. Stallman has always said, software is an inherently social endeavor and I cannot express how much more fun it's been with the collaboration occuring in the Alembic Exporter thread than it would have been with me sitting in my den, coding something that only I would use. Hopefully, some of those people will be C++ programmers, and even Win32 C++ programmers, hint hint :)

version 2 next page

I own the DAZ one too and it won't work with Blender but AFAIK this one should still work with other softwares 

can only try, it's free

The scaling might be wrong for 3DS Max, and the vertex order as well, but those are easy to fix. I just don't know what they are, as they only Autodesk software I can stand to use is Motionbuilder, and only because there's no alternative :)

• I just want to mention that I have tried the exporter with 3ds Max and it works perfectly! Didn't try many different scene setups but there are no problems with animation, materials or subdivided mesh. This is a dream come true, thank you so much!

I use the Maya setup and the scale works too (centimeters). Also be sure not to lock subdivisions in DAZ as this can cause problems, just export with your preffered subdivs.

• I just want to mention that I have tried the exporter with 3ds Max and it works perfectly! Didn't try many different scene setups but there are no problems with animation, materials or subdivided mesh. This is a dream come true, thank you so much!

I use the Maya setup and the scale works too (centimeters). Also be sure not to lock subdivisions in DAZ as this can cause problems, just export with your preffered subdivs.

Thanks, that's good to know. Sometimes the planets just align.