How do I get the lighting better ... building too dark?

I was told the building is too dark.  Whatever "night" sky I choose the building stays very dark.  I went into Sky Lab but it's very confusing as I have not really work with this.

Is it possible to explain to me how to use sky lab in this instance, i.e. screenshots will help as I really don't know what option to choose. blush

Comments

• There are a lot of different ways. Because this is a night time shot, you don't need very much indirect light. For now, just add a few low powered radial lights around the area of the structure. Those radials will make the exterior visible. You might also consider adding a Moonlight from the SkyLab. While not as bright as a sunlight, it can add another dimesion to the lighting of the scene. You've probably observed that the SkyDome ttol in the Skylab only provides light from directly above, it doesnt provide any light from any other angles. That is why the rooftops are visible but the vertical walls are not. You need to provide some illumination for the vertical walls with a few radials. Report back with results and any questions.

• launoklaunok Posts: 793

Rashad Carter  Thank you for your reply.  I will try this tomorrow. :)

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    launok said:

I was told the building is too dark.  Whatever "night" sky I choose the building stays very dark.  I went into Sky Lab but it's very confusing as I have not really work with this.

Is it possible to explain to me how to use sky lab in this instance, i.e. screenshots will help as I really don't know what option to choose. blush

launok, the easiest option is to put anywhere in the scene "Sphere Dome Light" with a small "Diffuse". Read this thread:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/142591/rashad-s-thoughts-on-lighting-in-bryce-7-1-pro-in-2017/p1

• launoklaunok Posts: 793

Again, just a quick try of the render.  I had used a small radial light which was moved away quite a distance to let the building appear not as dark as the previous render.  Had to redo animation in PSP and Animation Shop.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,280

launok - improved. In visual art, light is the most important aspect. I suggest that you set up a simple scene with some cubes, spheres and torus, keeping all in default grey. Then remove all lights, sun, haze, skydome to black, sun shadows to 100, everything so you get a pitch black render. Then experiment with each one of the lights but only use one at a time: sun, radial, spot, dome, maybe make an HDRI from the sky and experiment with that as well. The idea here is to get the feel and understanding what the lights do, what is lit, what stays black, what gets a bit of light.