Navigating through scenes

XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hello!

Today I need your help again:

Navigating through scenes is always a pain for me. You have to scroll the mouse wheel for ages to get from one side to the other (especially in big environments), clicking and dragging and scrolling, again and again, on and on. This way it takes a very long time exploring the environment and finding a good place and angle for the camera. And sometimes it is simply frustrating.

So, what I would like to have is the ability to "fly" or "walk" throgh the scens like in a classic first person video game. Using the arrow keys to move forward, back, left and right. Maybe two additional keys to move up and down.

I have already searched the actions list under "Customize" but I could not find such actions for moving around. Neither for the viewport, nor for the camera.

My question is: Can this be done in any way?

If not, how do you "walk" through your scenes, searching for a nice place for your next render?

Any help is very welcome. Thanks!

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

The easiest way without plugins is to simply use a camera. That way you can directly manipulate the coordinates via the parameters tab to instantly 'teleport' your view angle to wherever you need it. When you're dealing with large scenes, it's highly recommended to use one anyway since Daz doesn't save the perspective view position.

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the answer!

But can I move the camera as I described above? Placing the cam quickly via parameters is a good thing when you already know where to place it. But when you are exploring a scene, looking for a nice place and view for a render, it is useless.

The easiest thing would be to have "move cam" commandos (forward, back, left, right, up, down) and use them as shortcuts on the keyboard. Unfortunately I have not found any yet.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited January 2013

You can also use the parameter sliders to move gradually along a single axis to effectively 'explore' the area.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

Good idea, thanks.

Now I just need a way to change this parameter values with the keyboard and I am happy :-)

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You can also use the Camera Frame button on the tool bar to zoom in on any object listed in the Scene pane.

Select the object either in the Scene pane or the viewport, and click on the Camera Frame button, that will take you straight there. Also you can create a camera at that exact spot for future use, Create > New Camera > Apply Active Viewport Transforms, this will place a new camera (which you can rename) at the exact viewpoint you are at, and you can then switch cameras again, and go back to that precise spot.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I concur with Jimmy..If I have a big scene then I create a new camera, using the Faming Button and when I found a location that might work I load another camera copying the one I just placed and then use the new camera to find a better position...then when I have finally found my camera position I delete all the other cameras. Yeah it is a PITA but it is all part and parcel of settting up a scene.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

When framing, remember you can select several items at once to frame a group of objects instead of zooming in on the object.
    For example 2 objects on opposite outer edges of the scene will frame the entire scene, and 2 figures a little apart on the left side of the scene will frame the left of the scene, etc.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

A very handy tip, I didn't think of that!