Where do we draw the line when it comes to sharing work with copyright signs!?

launoklaunok Posts: 793
edited February 2017 in Bryce Discussion

I really need to clarify this matter before I am going to share any work in future with copyright name models, i.e. Marlboro, Coke, KFC, etc, etc. on here or anywhere else.  I have shared my Bryce town render in another, non-3D community and I was told it's copyrighted because I have used a Marlboro model and Coke ad (Sketchup models) in the scene and I am heading myself into big trouble.  I know there are rules but never thought that a personal made image (not for selling) will have this reaction.

This is now my point, what is acceptable and what not? surprise  I have lots Bryce renders done with many such logos, i.e. a KFC shop render.  I really need clarification before I share anymore town renders, etc with copyrighted models.

Post edited by launok on

Comments

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,797

Good question. I know that some companies are quite active in trying to get everybody under their thumb. You'd better not test their sense of humour, I guess. Maybe there are people in our group with some real background knowledge on the legal side of this?

• launoklaunok Posts: 793
    Hansmar said:

Good question. I know that some companies are quite active in trying to get everybody under their thumb. You'd better not test their sense of humour, I guess. Maybe there are people in our group with some real background knowledge on the legal side of this?

It's actually a serious matter.  I have mentioned what has happened to my daughter who is a professional photographer and she also commented I need to be careful, even on sharing personal use images.  I saw some models for sale reading the name with a bit different spelling than the original, but closely enough so that it appears to be original. But in such case I would just use a totally different name to stay out of trouble.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,959

Speaking from a position of absolutely no knowledge I seem to recall reading that companise HAVE to purse copytight if it is see as if they do not thaery can be seen to be rescinding their right to it; oftem said copyright infrigments are desalt with by a token payment - but I'd check with the various legal departments first!

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,285

I am very cautious with brands. There are companies that don't mind, others are very aggressive and prosecute even small incidences. As long as you do it for yourself and keeping it to yourself, you are obviously save. However, selling or sharing for free can put you into trouble. I don't even show renders I made with a copy of an existing brand. And it doesn't stop at brand names: modeling objects that are shown in a movie too accurately may also get you serious trouble.

• launoklaunok Posts: 793

Thank you for your input.  Then I have to be very careful myself in future, especially with buildings shown these names.  I have built my own shop buildng in Sketchup and want to do more.  Rather use these then.

• S RayS Ray Posts: 398

Many corporations will conceder images or animation of their copyrights commodities as free advertisement . Depending on how the commodity is displayed, ( in a negative or positive depiction ) Sometimes it's best to not show the full copyright of a name or logo. 

barcounter1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 134K