How do I create ... sandstorms, dust blows, smoke blows, and any such?

launoklaunok Posts: 793
edited January 2017 in Bryce Discussion

I was just wondering about this but not tried out yet.  I was thinking for instance a western action scene with stacecoagh moving or horses running with sand/dust blows, or car with smoke out of exhaust pipe, or just plain smoke out of chumney. Also any substance which can give a wind blow effect. Even how to create a tornado and many more with Bryce and not using any postwork with Photoshop brushes. Also creating actual smoke.  I am trying search for a tutorial but can't find any right now.  Are there ways for a novice like me to try out this?  

Post edited by launok on

Comments

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,797

Hi Launok,

I think this will partly answer your question: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/94041/supercell-tutorial

• launoklaunok Posts: 793
    Hansmar said:

Hi Launok,

I think this will partly answer your question: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/94041/supercell-tutorial

@Hansmar,  thank you for the link.  I have Bryce 5 but not installed but will try follow and see what happens.

launok said:
    Hansmar said:

Hi Launok,

@Hansmar,  thank you for the link.  I have Bryce 5 but not installed but will try follow and see what happens.

I don't think you need Bryce 5. It will most probably work just as well with newer versions!

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

When you try the various volumeric smoke/cloud materials, note that some will be faster than others, and probably most will dramatically slow down render times.  For this reason if possible I usually add them to the scene last after I'm somewhat comfortable with other items in the scene so it doesn't take as long to create.   If you are just getting started, it might not hurt to just a basic scene with nothing but a few primitives and apply various materials to them to see the results.  However keep in mind that the lighting conditions and scale will affect how they look, so you may not get the same effect in your basic test scene as you will in your real scene.

You may also need to experiment with adjusting the balance between ambient and diffuse, if you are working with clouds it can be tricky to get them to be a nice bright white without being washed out in one part of the scene and too dark in another.

Another thing to keep in mind is that they work using layers, which means you can get a banding effect depending on which direction the layers are running relative to the camera.  you can adjust the quality higher to increase the number of layers, but at great render time expense.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited January 2017

You can also use the various cloud and smoke materials on several primitives, but be aware that there is a problem where they overlap, so you have to make sure they don't touch.

screenshot1.png
    581 x 254 - 171K
    screenshot2.png
    692 x 438 - 127K
    Post edited by sriesch on
    edited January 2017

@Hansmar - I actually have the latest version of Bryce 7 Pro, released  Aug 2011.  The tut was for Bryce 5 it seems but I will try follow the steps nevertheless. smiley

@sriesch - Thank you for your help and previews which is appreciated. yes

Post edited by launok on
    edited January 2017

Not so easy for a novice who doesn't know what she is doing but somehow got some sort of sand blow effect, though far from perfect! 

The scene is just a quick render to test this technique for the very 1st time!  

Terrain material used: Bright beach sand

Atmospherics: Clouds-volume - Heavy pollution

Skylab: Sun/Moon and Shadow softness set to 9  (first time I am using Skylab also!).  This was to get rid of the black shadows of the "dust". But on setting this it affects the whole scene including the shadows of Bike as well.  Are there ways to adjust the shadows only on parts and not affecting every object in the scene?

The terrain and the sand blow are very much in contrast with each other, and gives a very unrealistic feel to the whole scene.  I am searching for a sand material (for terrain) closer to the dust but can't find any. Or how can I change the terrain colour more closer to the blowing dust which is much lighter?  I have tried in the materials lab but can't get the proper effect but then I am also not familiar with the materials lab as well.  

TRY BRYCE SAND BLOW.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 413K
    Post edited by launok on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,173

Wow Launok, that's a good start. I don't understand much about the mat. lab either, I just play with the controls. wink

edited January 2017

Launok:  quite a good start, don't be disappointed. As you said, trial and error helps for  messing with the materials lab. You can modify the colours, the frequency, issues such as changes with height or slope, etc. There are various tutorials and documents by David Binnen and Horo; they are probably the best to help.

Regarding the shadow softness, I think you can set the material of the dust by clicking on the triangle in the top row (see picture; sorry, the pop-up disappears when I activate the screen cutting programme). There you can click off 'cast shadows' so it does not provide any shadows. I guess you should keep 'self shadows' and 'receive shadows'. In that case, you do not have to use the 'soft shadows' option and will keep the shadow of the motor.

Another option would be to add a second distant light at the approximate location of the sun that lights only the dust cloud (use 'exclude' options for the light to exclude the rest) and give it soft shadows, while the original sunlight should exclude the dust cloud and not have soft shadows (or only very weak softening).

Keep playing!

cast shadows.PNG
    649 x 628 - 463K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited January 2017

Luanok - nice job.

One thing I've learned that makes a big difference for me with most materials, is by changing the 'frequency' of a material, you can sometimes get the look you want without having to move it farther away or closer.

Generally, the trick is to place the objects with the materials were you want them (e.g. volume spheres behind the motorcycle tires), apply the materials (pollution), then, in the material lab, find the material that seems to control the main look and texture of the material being used (usually channel a?), then click the little blue-ish button on the upper-left-most corner (Transformation Tools),

and the top x/y/z controller lets you adjust the frequency of the channel, and this can sometimes let you get exactly the look you want *where you want it!*. you can drag each x/y/z, enter the values, or, usually in my case, I adjust all three by dragging on the little axis thingy on that top controller and all three values will change in concert.

Note that I've had good effect changing things from numbers like 0.1 to 0.2, as well as going from 0.1 to 2000 (or -2000 in some cases). You may have to change all of the frequencies in all of the channels in a material set to get a consistent change in the material, but you can play with that. Sometimes changing the frequency in a channel probably makes no sense and does nothing, but the experts can tell you why that is... I can't yet.

I use this on water, clouds, and terrains to good effect when I'm 'too close' or 'too far' for the texture to look right to my eye.

good luck! and I hope this is clear!

--ms

br_mat.png
    Post edited by mindsong on
    edited January 2017

mindsong  -  Thank you for your help which is much appreciated. smiley I am only now start explore the material lab and the DTE although I am using Bryce a few years already though just basics.  Also lighting is a nigthmare, specially for internal renders and has downloaded yesterday some videos and text tutorials regarding this. Many are written for Bryce 5 but the interface seems not much different from Bryce 7 pro.

For anyone reading this thread, just something off-topic: Be very cautious taking just any meds, whether described by your GP or not. surprise And read the pamphlet.  If it's not inside holder, insist on having it. This morning I got this idea of checking online a certain tablet (Tramacet) I am using some months now described by doctor - he stated it's the safest on the market just to find out it's in fact not!  All the side-effects I am sitting with lately are caused by this so-called safe pain tablet.  Actually I am feeling quite relieved knowing I am not having some hidden illness. 

Post edited by launok on
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited January 2017

Luanok - I'm glad for your drug discovery! Scary stuff.

regarding the DTE - so far, I only tweak existing materials, and hit control-Z a *lot* to undo the messes!

watching the videos helps a lot, even though much of the information is still foreign - little bits are coming together and I like the exploration!

I think most of us are still 'tweakers' vs masters, but there are so many helpful folks here, it's not so hard on the pride/ego as many learning experiences!

I hope you're having as much fun as I (we) am, figuring it all out!

cheers, and thanks to the 'masters' and 'tweakers' both for your help!

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on