How to change the "pivot point"

I have V4 poses that I DL on the net. When I use some of them with the V4 figure and then rotate her with the Y-axis adjustment, she spins around on an axis other than the X, Y or Z. Then I selected the hip node in the scene tab, but the result was the same. Is there a way to alter the rotation/pivot point so that the model can rotate around the spot where she is standing? I know with Bryce one can check a box in the Attribute tabe to turn on the control handle icon which then lets you drag and drop the pivot to whereever you may want it.

Comments

• There is an easier way to do this than messing with the pivot point.

Choose the Universal Tool.

Now in WIndow -> Panes(Tabs) open the Tool Settings tab and dock it somewhere.

The very first option in the Tool Settings tab should be to choose how to rotate/translate the model. You can set it to local, world coordinates, screen coordinates, etc. 

In your case - I guess World Coordinates would be the best choice, but you can experiment. 

• allanonallanon Posts: 53

Thank you for the response. I gave it a "whirl, but it didn't have any effect. I'll continue to fool with it for a while at least. 

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102

Once I have read a nice trick for that purpose. Do the following:

Create a new null. Place the null in the center of the object, or anywhere where you want the "rotation point" to be. Then parent the figure to that null.

Now simply rotate the null and the figure will rotate with the null as center point.

Hope that helps!

• allanonallanon Posts: 53

Yowza! It worked perfectly. I sure was overthinking the situation. Thanx! 

• @XoechZ Thank you, an elegelent but simple soultion.

• veenveen Posts: 132
    XoechZ said:

Once I have read a nice trick for that purpose. Do the following:

Create a new null. Place the null in the center of the object, or anywhere where you want the "rotation point" to be. Then parent the figure to that null.

Now simply rotate the null and the figure will rotate with the null as center point.

Hope that helps!

thank you so much!!!!

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,336

Does anyone know how the pivot point suddenly changes in the first place?

• marblemarble Posts: 7,459

Worth a few minutes to watch this ...

• This is a very convoluted workflow for such a simple, mindless operation. In Maya you press "D", then move your pivot point. You can even snap to verticies, so you don't have to "eye it". Daz is an amazing tool in certain areas, but it's things like this that really turn me off. When basic operations become a 3-6 step process, and then you can't even guarantee accuracy. As a UX designer this is very poor user workflow. The fix would be foolishly simple, maybe 4 hours of code and 2 for review and deployment. 

I'll now go back to yelling at the Johnson twins taring up my front lawn. ;)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,956
    edited September 2020

there used to be a script

and DAZ hosted it

but a site changeover and it was gone and the people who had it said there was a very clear not redistributable clause written in it, one I knew took it to his grave!

my solution is with a prop,

edit convert to figure

move it to where you want moving the hip

convert back to prop

figures a bit more involved, still move hip but with rigging  bone tool selected rightclick edit bake joint rotations

and you have issues with resaving breaking stuff

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,865

Premade poses can be a pain, since there is no "standard" on where the movements and rotations should be specified, which ones should be applied to the figure and which ones to the hip

• If it's a non-rigged object, you can do it with Joint Editor (it works similar with the NULL method posted above)

• This is a very convoluted workflow for such a simple, mindless operation. In Maya you press "D", then move your pivot point. You can even snap to verticies, so you don't have to "eye it". Daz is an amazing tool in certain areas, but it's things like this that really turn me off. When basic operations become a 3-6 step process, and then you can't even guarantee accuracy. As a UX designer this is very poor user workflow. The fix would be foolishly simple, maybe 4 hours of code and 2 for review and deployment. 

I'll now go back to yelling at the Johnson twins taring up my front lawn. ;)

The real issue is poses which move the figure using the hip bone, placement in the scene should be handled with the figure node and the hip used only to adjust for ther pose (to keep the feet on the floor, to have a multi-figure pose such as hand-shaking match up correctly).

• edited October 2020

This is all unerstandable in terms of editing the pivot point of a joint, but I'm just talking about simple objects. 

Example: I modeled a weapon in Maya. I set all the pivot points correctly as desired as there are "moving" parts. 

I bring it into Daz and the pivot points are all set to the bottom of the object. All that information is lost. Why? This does not work like this is other 3D software. 

BTW I might sound angry, but I'm not. I'm legtimiately curious and I legittimately would like the Daz team to look into this. We can't let simple things evade us like this. Time for a stand up. I say that as if I'm the team lead :)

Post edited by mhartman.art_53c60a8640 on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

This is all unerstandable in terms of editing the pivot point of a joint, but I'm just talking about simple objects. 

Example: I modeled a weapon in Maya. I set all the pivot points correctly as desired as there are "moving" parts. 

I bring it into Daz and the pivot points are all set to the bottom of the object. All that information is lost. Why? This does not work like this is other 3D software. 

BTW I might sound angry, but I'm not. I'm legtimiately curious and I legittimately would like the Daz team to look into this. We can't let simple things evade us like this. Time for a stand up. I say that as if I'm the team lead :)

Daz has its own rigging.

• Yes, DS has always had pronlems with at least some OBJs and pivot points - if you know you are going to DS leave that step until you arrive.

• Yes, DS has always had pronlems with at least some OBJs and pivot points - if you know you are going to DS leave that step until you arrive.

So I've learnt. 

• ennotennot Posts: 3

WendyLuvsCatz said:

there used to be a script

and DAZ hosted it

but a site changeover and it was gone and the people who had it said there was a very clear not redistributable clause written in it, one I knew took it to his grave!

my solution is with a prop,

edit convert to figure

move it to where you want moving the hip

convert back to prop

figures a bit more involved, still move hip but with rigging  bone tool selected rightclick edit bake joint rotations

and you have issues with resaving breaking stuff

Thanks for that suggestion. Works a treat for objects. So many workrounds mentioned in this thread seem a bit daunting. This one is simple and fast.

• Once I have read a nice trick for that purpose. Do the following:

Hope that helps!

Thanks dear, it worked for me too!

• Thank you @XoechZ

• mdlark1966mdlark1966 Posts: 103

Holy cow! I've been wrestling with the issue ever since I started using DAZ years ago. Today I decided to try to fix it, and finally stumbled across this thread. The null solution is so simple and solves so many problems for me! Thank you so much to XoechZ for such a great suggestion!