Can I mirror a pose?

Hi all,

Question is: If I spend all morning creating an animation where a character turns to the left and gestures, is there a quick way of transferring the poses so that the character can then turn to the right and do the same thing without me having to painstakingly animate it again. Or, is there a cheeky way of 'mirroring' the left animation to the right?

God I hope so!

Thanks in advance

G

Comments

• Try the Symmetry command - shift Y - with Nodes set to root, Propagation set to recursive, Swap Left and Right, and the Mirror option for trunk Nodes.

• geoff6geoff6 Posts: 250

Thank you Richard,

Got that, good plan, works well, thank you very much!

G

• bf2011bf2011 Posts: 149
    edited January 11

Richard Haseltine said:

Try the Symmetry command - shift Y - with Nodes set to root, Propagation set to recursive, Swap Left and Right, and the Mirror option for trunk Nodes.

Richard, is there a way to mirror only partial body parts like say nodes from left Collar down to Left Pinky to mirror nodes of Right Collar down to Right Pinky?

Let me know, thanks!

(Edited by mod to fix quote)

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,431
    edited January 11

Ctrl + Select Left Collar and Right Collar first, Shift + Y with options specifically: Nodes: Selected; Dirction: Swap Left and Right, Trunck Nodes: Mirror Y and Z Rotations

If there's any Pose Control on the sub-nodes, Bake Transforms beforehand, as Symmetry function doesn't support Pose Controls properties.

SNAG-2024-1-12-0000.png
    334 x 426 - 27K
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • bfarber2011 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Try the Symmetry command - shift Y - with Nodes set to root, Propagation set to recursive, Swap Left and Right, and the Mirror option for trunk Nodes.

Richard, is there a way to mirror only partial body parts like say nodes from left Collar down to Left Pinky to mirror nodes of Right Collar down to Right Pinky?

Let me know, thanks!

Yes, select the Right collar, then in the dialogue set nodes to Selected, Propagation to recursive (that will get all the children of the selected nodes), and Direction to Lwft to Right. If you didn't want all of the child bones changed, select the ones you do want and set propagation to None (but that is fiddlier if you can avoid it).

edited January 12

Richard Haseltine said:

bfarber2011 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Let me know, thanks!

Yes, select the Right collar, then in the dialogue set nodes to Selected, Propagation to recursive (that will get all the children of the selected nodes), and Direction to Lwft to Right. If you didn't want all of the child bones changed, select the ones you do want and set propagation to None (but that is fiddlier if you can avoid it).

Hey It worked thank you!

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited January 12

crosswind said:

Ctrl + Select Left Collar and Right Collar first, Shift + Y with options specifically: Nodes: Selected; Dirction: Swap Left and Right, Trunck Nodes: Mirror Y and Z Rotations

If there's any Pose Control on the sub-nodes, Bake Transforms beforehand, as Symmetry function doesn't support Pose Controls properties.

Thank you!

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on