IRay renders retroactively added textures (to imported .objs) purple

Anyone have any idea why that is? For regularly loaded Daz Studio items (like e.g. G3F or V4 models) everything renders just fine...but any .obj I import to the scene refuses to render anything but purple. IRay simply refuses to work with the textures I load into the "Diffuse Color" tab.

Everything works with the 3Delight render, but I would prefer using IRay if possible.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

There are several threads about this proble,   Here is one of them  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/102026/pink-object-after-iray-render

• Chohole said:

There are several threads about this proble,   Here is one of them  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/102026/pink-object-after-iray-render

I saw a similar thread to this already, before posting. It describes an issue where *every* texture on every object in the scene gets rendered purple by IRay. This however is *not* the problem I am facing. IRay renders proprietary object just fine. It is only imported .obj files with manually assigned textures that turn out purple in IRay...and reinstalling DAZ did nothing. The .dll file in question for the other problem is also still in place (which is not surprising since it does render stuff correctly in IRay, just not the imported objs)...

Are the objects that you are trying ti import UV mapped,   do they have UV co-ordinates assigned to them?

• Chohole said:

Are the objects that you are trying ti import UV mapped,   do they have UV co-ordinates assigned to them?

...to be honest, I am not sure. How would I go about looking that up? Is there a way to still get IRay to render the .obj correctly without an UV-map?

• vt and f lines are present in the .obj, so I would assume yes.

Chohole said:

...to be honest, I am not sure. How would I go about looking that up? Is there a way to still get IRay to render the .obj correctly without an UV-map?

It would probably help us to help you if you told us what OBJs you are trying to import and render, and where you got them from. 

If an OBJ hasn't had UV co-ordinates assigned then it will not take a texture.

• Chohole said:
    Chohole said:

It would probably help us to help you if you told us what OBJs you are trying to import and render, and where you got them from. 

If an OBJ hasn't had UV co-ordinates assigned then it will not take a texture.

Hmm, but wouldn't that also result in problems when rendering with 3Delight? ...it works just fine in 3Delight.

So what is it that you are trying to import and render.   If someone else has the same OBJ they could try it also and see if there is a problem.

• Are you sure it's not just reflecting the environment map or soemthing like that? The default settings for an OBJ import tend to be fairly shiny, if it's reading an MTL file it could go even further that way.

• Are you sure the colour setting that goes along with the Diffuse parameter you plugged the texture into is set to white? A wide variety of Weird Stuff™ can happen when importing .obj meshes, and unexpected base colours is one of the more common.

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,405

sorry to revive a defunct thread.. but i just had this problem too, just this one imported obj (well, it was a .dae) from sketchfab, and once the albedo was put in the diffuse channel, iray rendered it purple. since another texture would work, i inspected the texture in faststone, and saw it was 72dpi. just to test,i resampled it to 96dpi... and IT WORKED.

absolutely no idea why it seemed to work, i haven't tested this theory further yet, and i dunno if anyone else can use this solution and have it solve their purple problem, but i guess it's worth a try...