Gensis poses not quite working

KillebrewKillebrew Posts: 26
edited December 2012 in Poser Discussion

Anyone else have a problem with Genesis poses not quite working when used on Genesis figures in Poser 2012 using the DSON dealy?
I just got the new Genesis teens and am seeing the same problem that I've had with the adult characters. When I apply some of the poses that come with them, they're off the floor a lot, and most of the time the arms and hands are in the wrong place, as if the Genesis figure can't quite bend far enough at all the joints to get the pre-made pose quite where it's supposed to be.

Hmm. Now that I type this out, I wonder if it has something to do with limits, which I've never really fiddled with.
(Edit: Evidently not. Just went back and tried. I messed with the limits and the whole figure disappeared.)

Anyway, all the poses came with the Pro-bundle are are meant to be used with DSON. They're not homemade or anything. The legs and arms, in particular, aren't in the right place when the poses are added. Any thoughts on this?
Ah, and I just updated the DSON importer but that didn't fix it.

Post edited by Killebrew on

Comments

• KillebrewKillebrew Posts: 26
    edited December 1969

Might help if I gave an example.

The first picture is from the promos of the pose.
    The second picture is what happens when I load the figure and apply the pose.

a2fail.jpg
    400 x 379 - 12K
    A1good.jpg
    400 x 504 - 25K
  • LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985
    edited December 2012

I can tell you in DS4.5, when I apply that pose I get a dialog box that the pose exceeds the figure's preset posing limits and gives me the option to choose to keep limits on or off.

If I choose:

Turn limits OFF, Justin looks like the colored picture.
    Keep limits ON, he looks like your problem image.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to make those choices in Poser.

Justin.jpg
    766 x 544 - 61K
    Post edited by Lindsey on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,055
    edited December 1969

It's Figure>Use Limits in Poser.

• KillebrewKillebrew Posts: 26
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I thought that's what it might be. But the limits appear to be off by default on the Genesis figure in Poser 2012. When I turn them on, the scale of the figure gets set to 0%, and when I scale it up to 2500% and zoom in, just to see it, it's completely distorted.

I'm not sure what's going on.

• SpiritWolf448SpiritWolf448 Posts: 19
    edited December 2012

To switch off the limits on Genesis in Poser, you need to go to every single bodypart manually, double click on each dial you want to turn limits off for and uncheck the "Force Limits" box.

Genesis doesn't recognize the global "Use Limits" option, I am afraid. Just like, due to it's subdivision tech, it does not recognize the "Visible" checkbox on the properties tab of an actor if subdivision is turned on.

Always remember, getting Genesis into Poser via the DSON Importer was not originally planned for during it's inception. It was an afterthought. (And for an afterthought, it works surprsingly well. But never expect it to work as well as in the application it was made for.)

Post edited by SpiritWolf448 on
  • Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited March 2014

I don't like to encourage turning limits off because IMHO it encourages character creators to be too conservative with their limits and Pose Designers to ignore the limits on figures because they don't allow enough freedom. The ultimate, CORRECT solution to this is for figure and character creators to be able to create their figures and characters to look good/accurate with the widest possible limits... and then to enforce only the widest possible limits.

Meanwhile, in the real world this sounds like a job for a Python script. Because computers are designed to be good at repetitive tasks like working through all the body parts of a figure, leaving human beings to be creative. So there's now one at:

www.who3d.com/downloads/NoLimits.zip

This is not limited to any particular figure, or indeed even to DSON figures. There is no warranty of any sort. If anything goes wrong, I'll refund you exactly what you paid for it :)

Please give people the link rather than the file, so they get it from me :)

Cheers,

Cliff

PS I've tested it, but not much. Consider yourself a beta tester if you like - and let me know if you have any problems. Yes - there's even a readme file!

NoLimits.png
    400 x 400 - 33K
    Post edited by Cliff Bowman on
    edited December 1969

Oops - quick bug fix. Anyone who downloaded before I posted this message, please download again. My apologies - hopefully there won't be any more bug fixes today!

Cheers,

Cliff

edited December 1969

Sadly, I found a situation under which the script wouldn't work. So I've made it a bit more robust for vesion 0.3, and added a "ForceLimits" script to turn limits on again. So you can switch back and forth between limited and unlimited and the poor figure will prance about like it's got ants in its pants :(

Same link. Check the readme - if it doesn't say it's v0.3 then you've downloaded a cached version somehow.

Cheers,

Cliff

NoLimits.png
    400 x 400 - 30K
    ForceLimits.png
    400 x 400 - 32K
  • Leo LeeLeo Lee Posts: 184
    edited December 1969

I'd like to share some G2F poses, but even with this No limits some poses are still incorrect. How DAZ3D sells G2F poses that not work properly in Poser?

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

I'd like to share some G2F poses, but even with this No limits some poses are still incorrect. How DAZ3D sells G2F poses that not work properly in Poser?

You say you want to share some poses, but you complain about DAZ selling poses that don't work. Which are you having trouble with? Your own poses, or poses sold by DAZ?

edited December 1969

Also, can you show us some examples? Maybe the problem isn't with the poses per se, but somehow with my script? Can you identify specific joints that don't work correctly or show us a DS vs Poser render that highlights the issue?

• Leo LeeLeo Lee Posts: 184
    edited December 1969

Sorry, No Limits plugin works fine. The problem is with Dson (or Poser) not turning off 'Use Limits'. I did my poses in DS and look very natural with the limits off, but in Poser don't. So I solve this moving the pelvis and collars slightly.
    Thank you guys for the support.