Changing default path for DAZ content library

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but I just spent 20 minutes doing searches on the forums and couldn't find an answer. 

I've got a Surface Pro 4 with 256GB of storage - and DAZ is fast eating it all up. I need to move my content library to a different directory on an external USB hard drive. 

I'm assuming that part will be fairly easy... go into preferences and point it to the new drive and directory, and copy the content to that location. 

But are there any gotchas I should be aware of? Am I going to break plugins or if I accidently load DAZ while the drive isn't connected am I going to hose the whole thing? What should I be aware of before I go down this path? 

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

You need to change all the locations for the Content library in DAZ Studio preferences and the DIM preferences & you need to do it for both the 'Content Library', the 'Content Managment' location, for your Poser locations if you have any, and then also change the location where your DIM downloads it files to (and leaves them if you don't turn on, delete after installing). 

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Copy the content first (don't delete it from the current location).  Then go into Studio and change the paths from the current drive (probably C) to the external.  Then when you are sure it's working, you can delete it. 

If you are using Smart Content there are some extra steps, dealing with moving the database around/pointers.  You need to export your User data before hand and reimport it and the metadata after the move...

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/680077/#Comment_680077

You will also need to reset the install locations in DIM.

• Wow. That is a bigger hassle than I thought it would be. Glad I asked here first. 

Thanks! 

• So, additional questions...

​My Daz 3D directory has a runtime of 59.6GB, and my DAZ 3D, InstallManager\Downloads folder has a directory of 49.4GB.

​Can I just back up the Downloads data offline or will that screw up download manager?

• You need to change all the locations for the Content library in DAZ Studio preferences and the DIM preferences & you need to do it for both the 'Content Library', the 'Content Managment' location, for your Poser locations if you have any, and then also change the location where your DIM downloads it files to (and leaves them if you don't turn on, delete after installing). 

For that matter, where is the setting for "Delete after installing" in the DIM?

• So, additional questions...

​My Daz 3D directory has a runtime of 59.6GB, and my DAZ 3D, InstallManager\Downloads folder has a directory of 49.4GB.

​Can I just back up the Downloads data offline or will that screw up download manager?

Yes.

You need to change all the locations for the Content library in DAZ Studio preferences and the DIM preferences & you need to do it for both the 'Content Library', the 'Content Managment' location, for your Poser locations if you have any, and then also change the location where your DIM downloads it files to (and leaves them if you don't turn on, delete after installing). 

For that matter, where is the setting for "Delete after installing" in the DIM?

Delete Package Once Installed is a check-box in the Ready to Install tab

• WoeLoreWoeLore Posts: 0

I was having trouble with pathnames having moved my content to another drive, so I performed a fresh install of 4.12 (Win10, 64 bit). These are the default paths according to Content Directory Manager:

DazDefault.png
    465 x 311 - 19K
  • I am doing this again because my nice new Omen 30L is in the shop and I am trying to use my 8 year old MSI Workstation. Ugh! Luckily, I keep all my data on a removable drive. However, I had to update DAZ on this one and it wasnt to reinstall ALL 3500 DAZ Assets. Yikes! That's a lot of DAZ goodness, from DAZ 2 to current.

Here's a list of those default directories, and my custom directories for my D: drive on my new computer, which only has one drive. I have to use F: for my old computer, even though the removable drive is the same, because it has two internal drives and D: filled up.

DAZ Default Paths
    CMS Cluster Directory
    C:/Users/[username]/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/cms

Daz Connect Data
    C:/Users/[username]/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect

DAZ Studio Formats
    C:/Users/[username]/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library
    C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library
    C:/Daz 3D/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library

Poser Formats
    C:/Users/[username]/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library
    C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library
    C:/Daz 3D/Applications/DataDAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library

Other Import Formats
    ========
    My Paths
    ========
    D:/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/cms
    F:/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/cms

Daz Connect Data
    D:/3D/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect
    F:/3D/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect

DAZ Studio Formats
    D:/3D/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library
    F:/3D/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library
    D:/3D/DAZ Library
    F:/3D/DAZ Library
    D:/Daz 3D/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library
    F:/Daz 3D/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library

Poser Formats
    D:/3D/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library
    F:/3D/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library
    D:/3D/My DAZ 3D Library
    F:/3D/My DAZ 3D Library
    D:/Daz 3D/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library
    F:/Daz 3D/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library

Other Import Formats

In DIM I had to also supply these paths, which it did not remember when I updated my DAZ 4.20 in Content Manager. The old computer was giving me error messages and I did have to create some of these directories on the removable drive. You get to this from the Advanced Settings menu. It gives tabs for Accounts, Downloads,  Installation and Applications.

Downloads
    D:/3D/DAZ 3D/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads

F:/3D/DAZ 3D/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads

D:/3D/DAZ 3D/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Thumbnails 

F:/3D/DAZ 3D/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Thumbnails

Installation

D:/3D/DAZ3D/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/ManifestFiles

F:/3D/DAZ3D/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/ManifestFiles

D:/3D/DAZ 3D/Applications/64-bit

F:/3D/DAZ 3D/Applications/64-bit

D:/3D/DAZ 3D/Applications/32-bit

F:/3D/DAZ 3D/Applications/32-bit

Content

D:/3D/DAZ Library

Content Database

F:/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/cms

Content

Poser Content [made a new directory because DAZ complained]

F:/3D/Poser/Poser 2022

VUE Content

F:/3D/Vue/VUE 2022

and I added this directory because it is in the default directories above

F:/3D/DAZ 3D/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library

DAZ Lives here:

Program Files
    F:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/
    DAZ3DIM
    DAZ3DIM1
    DazCentral
    DazCentral1
    DAZStudio4
    Hexagon2
    PostgreSQL CMS

My VUE 2016 lives here:

F:/Program Files/e-on software/
    VUE 2016
    VUE 2016 R6

My Unreal Engine lives here:

F:/Program Files/Epic Games
    UE_4.27

I used this path to GIMP where it asks for Photoshop and it successfully installed an item for Photoshop! I used to get error messages when doing this. So does the Photoshop Bridge now work for GIMP also? Or is this just my wishful thinking?

F:/Program Files/GIMP2

Poser lives here, though I totally use DAZ now.  I started with Poser 8, I think and decided DAZ was easier and I got better results at my level :)

F:/Program Files/Poser Software/Poser 11

F:/Program Files (x86)/
    DAZ 3D
    Epic Games
    Smith Micro/Download Manager/Runtime

But, I would like someone to check my paths and make sure I have them correct. I created F:/3D/DAZ 3D/Applications etc to match the default directory paths.

I am not sure why my Applications directory is in 3D and also in 3D/DAZ or DAZ3D or DAZ 3D. Which directory should /Applications be in, if not DAZ 3D/Applications? Why do I have so many?  Is it ok to delete the wrong ones once I make sure DAZ Studio works?

Thanks for listening. I want to be sure this is right when my good PC comes back. Y'all take care!