Old Bryce images on my new web pages

mspiethmspieth Posts: 8
edited December 2016 in Bryce Discussion

Hi....this is my first post here. I did a lot of Brycing in the late 90s, and I just organized my images into three new web pages. Actually, I spent the last few weeks re-rendering a lot of them, too! Hope you enjoy them. I can't believe the time put into a few of these!

http://www.mikespieth.com/bryce/bryce.html

Post edited by mspieth on

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,285

Welcome to this forum, mspieth. There are some very nice artworks on your page.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,173

Welcome, really nice artwork on your site, Mspieth, Hope to see more on your work on the forum.

• Thanks! Since it has been 15 years since I used Bryce, it took a while for it to come back to me. Maybe this winter I'll start some new images.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,797

Wow, mspieth, you've been very prolific, 15 years ago. Nice work in both the space bugs and in the landscapes. Show some of your new work, when you've made it, here.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited December 2016

Kewl! elegant/simple website, and great renders! Do more! The 'Spacebug Project' page has more goodies for those who take a look!

I'm sure you realize that a lot has happened to Bryce in the time you've been gone, and the best resource in the universe for the current tricks-of-the-trade are found in the video collection that David Brinnen has consolidated at:

http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials.html

Assuming you picked up the latest version (if not, you should! - cheap now - wait for a sale!) there's a wealth of new features that'll swallow at least 5 more years of your life! (I think that's a good thing, right?). That site covers the program features as well as standard and some super clever tricks for making bryce magic!

Thanks for coming by, and any questions you have will certainly be entertained - probably with multiple solutions! Good crowd in here!

cheers,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on
  • launoklaunok Posts: 793
    edited December 2016

mspieth  -  welcome to the forum and absolutely stunning work you have done, looking forward to many more! smiley

Your mountain snow render is just awesome.  I am busy with my 1st snow render and struggling quite a bit.  If you are willing to share how you have done that snow it will be much appreciated - maybe a short tutorial!? wink Attached is a render (not completed yet) of my 1st snow scene attempt. Still want to add some pieces of snow on the truck, etc.  I am using Bryce's own snow mats. By the way, even using smoothing in Bryce on the truck, it still have issues. It's a sketchup model and maybe bad quality causing this issue.  The black falling snow dots needs postwork I think in a 2D program.  For plants I need to follow David Brinnen's video to add snow on trees.  Only the branches show snow after applying snow mat on whole model.

Regards,

Laura

town street plan add snow23.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 750K
    Post edited by launok on
  • mspiethmspieth Posts: 8
    edited December 2016

Mindsong-----Thanks for the kind words (everyone else too) .

I had downloaded the free version a year or two ago, and when I went to use it recently I could not find the serial # or make it otherwise work. Same with my old Bryce 5....would not open older files, etc. Then I found 7.1, and $20 is nothing to pay compared to the old days! I'll definitely be playing with this stuff again.

Launok----

I hate to dissapoint you, but I'm pretty sure that that snow was simply one of the presets that shipped with Bryce, and I do not remember modifying it much, if at all. The texture editor is an amazing place, but my edits usually spiral out of control. That image was probably arrived at very quickly. I think I used a big sphere with some atmosphere added to get the receding foggyness. Adding the bug, cowboy and dog did take some time, though. I'll look at the file tonight to see if the material is labeled as one of the presets. BTW, adding piles of snow to the tops of things is something I never tried. Looks good! Snow mats: lots of new stuff to find...

Mike

Post edited by mspieth on
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

Mspieth,

In your Daz3D 'account' area is a dashboard with all of your serial numbers. I've heard (even last week) of folks that ask Daz Support for serial numbers for older versions and they seem to be quite responsive and accomidating.

Also, there's a bunch of free bryce stuff over at sharecg.com. Start with 'spacebones' for some unique primitive, letters/runes, and other elements. Large numbers of planets/lanscapes and other stuff by many folks as well - and even the older bryce files seem to hold-up pretty well, and can be re-material'd or re-worked as well. If nothing else, just know that that stuff is there and take a look, in case you have a render that needs 'that something'. I'm trying to cure my urge to collect more than render, so I don't want to lead others down that path...

cheers,

--ms

• Laura,

The material does not match any of the Bryce7.1 presets I looked at, so here's a screen capture for you. How it looks on your terrain may be totally different, but maybe this will help!

Mike

snowterrain.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 105K
  • launoklaunok Posts: 793

mspieth said:

The material does not match any of the Bryce7.1 presets I looked at, so here's a screen capture for you. How it looks on your terrain may be totally different, but maybe this will help!

Mike

Mike, sorry for the delay - only came here today.  Thank you, will have a look at that. smiley