Getting BVH files to work with Genesis

kingfamilykingfamily Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi, got Daz Studio yesterday and it's been great. I'm new to 3d/cg art and animation and really like how (relatively) simple DS makes things.

I'm trying to get cgspeed's "made for Daz" CMU mocap files to work with the Genesis model, and just about all of them are out of whack (lots of twists, odd rotations, etc) -- many, many hours of googling later I found out that it's probably because they were made for M4/V4 models/meshes, and I only have the "next gen" stuff that came with Daz 4.5.

More hours of googling later and I found the bvhacker tool, and I'm pretty confident the problem is that the BVH files have missing joints (no abdomen2, no pelvis) and the Genesis model doesn't have buttocks (instead linking the thigh nodes to the pelvis)

I'd much rather use Genesis than Gen4 models (the customization options are fantastic!), so to use the CMU BVH files with Genesis I think I need to edit them with bvhacker or another tool that will update the joint names and positions.

Has anyone done this? Is there an "easy" button somewhere, or will I need to edit each motion I want to use manually?

And what would I need to edit? I tried inserting a pelvis joint at the hip to merge the buttocks/thighs into, but apparently I "can't add any joints above the root" with bvhacker. Any ideas?

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Hi, got Daz Studio yesterday and it's been great. I'm new to 3d/cg art and animation and really like how (relatively) simple DS makes things.

I'm trying to get cgspeed's "made for Daz" CMU mocap files to work with the Genesis model, and just about all of them are out of whack (lots of twists, odd rotations, etc) -- many, many hours of googling later I found out that it's probably because they were made for M4/V4 models/meshes, and I only have the "next gen" stuff that came with Daz 4.5.

More hours of googling later and I found the bvhacker tool, and I'm pretty confident the problem is that the BVH files have missing joints (no abdomen2, no pelvis) and the Genesis model doesn't have buttocks (instead linking the thigh nodes to the pelvis)

I'd much rather use Genesis than Gen4 models (the customization options are fantastic!), so to use the CMU BVH files with Genesis I think I need to edit them with bvhacker or another tool that will update the joint names and positions.

Has anyone done this? Is there an "easy" button somewhere, or will I need to edit each motion I want to use manually?

And what would I need to edit? I tried inserting a pelvis joint at the hip to merge the buttocks/thighs into, but apparently I "can't add any joints above the root" with bvhacker. Any ideas?

there is no easy button that I know of - the mocap CMU BVH don't even work well with V4 or M4 -
    I gave up on them and make my own motions .
    I have to give you credit for looking up all the info - most people just come crying for help with out doing
    all the research you did .
    good luck with your animations .