Losing my sky setting after save

NeilrNeilr Posts: 69
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hi and thanks for any help /advise on this issue. I have a scene I am working on, one of my first. After I saveed it and came back to it later I had lost my sky settings , this would be all of it fog, haze, ect... and to top it off it will not let me change it back again. I can change the setting but nothing changes in the scene. I have also rebuilt the scene from several component scenes and had it back mostly the way I had it, began working on adding to it and then saved it and after not liking my changes I reverted back to the earlier version....yeah loaded it back and said no do not save changes to teh bad one....lost my sky again....I have done this several times assuming I must be doing something wrong, if so I have no idea what :-) any help would be great thanks.

I attached the scene as it was befor I saved it and then again after I opened the saved file. btw when I open it it shows the first properly rendered scene in the main window and the altered (no sky setting) scene in the mini window.

alien_bad.jpg
1754 x 875 - 99K
AlienLandscape.jpg
1754 x 875 - 98K

Comments

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

nreed said:
    Hi and thanks for any help /advise on this issue. I have a scene I am working on, one of my first. After I saveed it and came back to it later I had lost my sky settings , this would be all of it fog, haze, ect... and to top it off it will not let me change it back again. I can change the setting but nothing changes in the scene. I have also rebuilt the scene from several component scenes and had it back mostly the way I had it, began working on adding to it and then saved it and after not liking my changes I reverted back to the earlier version....yeah loaded it back and said no do not save changes to teh bad one....lost my sky again....I have done this several times assuming I must be doing something wrong, if so I have no idea what :-) any help would be great thanks.

I attached the scene as it was befor I saved it and then again after I opened the saved file. btw when I open it it shows the first properly rendered scene in the main window and the altered (no sky setting) scene in the mini window.

I don't know about why you lost your settings but the reason you see the properly rendered scene when you open it is because you must have rendered the scene once before you first saved it. Until you complete another render and save the scene to the same place with the same name the one properly rendered scene will always be displayed when you first open it, even though the settings were somehow changed. What is displayed in the smaller preview window is how the scene looks now though based on whatever the settings actually are.

I'm not sure if I'm making that clear though so let me try to describe it a different way? I'll describe how I might end up with what it sounds like you're saying although this might not be exactly how you got there. Anyway lets say I make a scene, I think I got it looking right but I can't be sure until I render it. So I render it and yeah it looks pretty much how I want it, so I save it. That rendered image will now always pop up when I open that saved scene. Now after I saved it I didn't exit Bryce of get rid of the scene. I think to myself that it's just not quite right so I change something but then I notice I'm late for something, or I've become tired or something comes up where I can't continue so I save the scene again overwriting the first version I saved because I know I made changes but I didn't render it because I have to go and didn't want to lose the changes, So now the scene is changed and will look different then the render that pops up when I open the scene because the only rendered image was from how the scene was when I rendered it the first time. So then I come back open it and get that properly rendered scene but when I look in the little preview window it looks different.

When you render a scene and it completes the render, a .bmp is created with the same name as the scene file. Now everytime you open that scene that .bmp will be displayed in Bryce until you either change the scene in some way and do another complete render or you delete the .bmp that has the same name as the scene or you rename it.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

At any point did you perform a scene merge? Sometimes skies with Hdris get messed up during scene merging.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,135
    edited December 1969

Difficult to help, but a tip for the future. Save often and change the name (Save As). Bryce usually increments the number at the end of the file name (myrender1, myrender2) but skips the zero (myrender01 > myrender2). Saving different versions as you progress with your work helps you to get back if you screwed up something and don't remember what you did.