Daz Horse 2 - does it work in Carrara 8 Pro?

Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
edited November 2012 in Carrara Discussion

I just saw that Daz got a new horse model and I would be interested in the bundle - if it is compatible with Carrara.

Anyone had a chance to test this yet under Carrara 8 Pro or Carrara 8.5 Pro?
I saw that the horse is weightmapped... and so far I remember, that doesn't work in Carrara?

Post edited by Rhian-Skyblade on

Comments

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

Based on the product page I'm guessing that there are two versions of the figure, one using Poser's weight mapping and another using TriAx weight mapping which is the same stuff that's in Genesis and supposedly ought to work in Carrara 8.5 as well, soon if not already.

But that's just a guess.

• Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
    edited November 2012

Maybe someone, who uses DazStudio next to Carrara 8.5 Pro, can give us some more Info :)

I know, I still could use the horses in DS, because it's free. Though, I don't like DS and Poser at all *sigh* can't get myself getting used to the GUI and the lack of freedom when it comes to mesh manipulation. I only kick myself to use Poser for the cloth room so I can use my Swidhelm Dragons.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Based on the included formats DUF and CR2 I would guess it will work in 8 using the CR2 Poser format and 8.5 beta uisng the Triax/duf but it is just a guess.

You could always ask wendy http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/12269/#175937 nicely to check for you. ;)

edited December 1969

Thank you for the Link! :) *runs off to read*

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited November 2012

My pleasure. Wendy uses Carrara a lot and since Wnedy has just purchased it I thought refering you there might get you your answers.

Post edited by Szark on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,859
    edited December 1969

yes in C8.5 beta
    not happy with tail though, I might be using dynamic hair instead

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

yes :)

horse2.jpg
    800 x 561 - 87K
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Have they made the mane and tail replaceable with dynamic hair? The "old" Mellinium Horse had geometry issues where the mane and tail couldn't really be hidden in a satisfactory way...

edited December 1969

Have they made the mane and tail replaceable with dynamic hair? The "old" Mellinium Horse had geometry issues where the mane and tail couldn't really be hidden in a satisfactory way...

separate parts so yes, has a basic tail stump you could paint hair on
    my renders pretty crap so far, not the horse, the user!
    edited December 1969

HI Holly :)

The tail and the mane are separate objects,.
    so, you would load the horse figure,. then the mane and tail figures.

The Horse figure does have a little thin tail ,. which (I think) could be covered with Dynamic hair.

horsebut.jpg
    536 x 528 - 135K
    edited December 1969

Hi Wendy,..:)

I just realised there are Tail bend. tail side. tail twist morphs in the Horse figure,. as well as the morphs in the tail figure,. so, the initial issues I had with posing the tail,,. were due to me not seeing the Morphs in the horse.

Also,.. a couple of the poses (grazing 1 and 2) don't seem to apply the pose that the thumbnail indicates.

so far,.. nice textures, and a better figure.
    I just need to see if there's a way to get the textures from the "OLD" horse, on to this one :)

edited November 2012

That looks very promising :) I think I am going to buy that package as soon as I get my next pay check.
    The mentioning of the weightmap made me so uncertain.

edited December 1969

the fibermesh fur on the Llama did not render so good
    and it took 15min+ to load!

llama.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 707K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

the fibermesh fur on the Llama did not render so good
    and it took 15min+ to load!

Sounds like a candidate for dynamic hair!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,811
    edited December 1969

Happy with the way the horse II renders in C8.5b not happy with the Llama fur mesh and gave up waiting for it to load as described by wendy.

Here's a quick one done in C8.5b in the barnyard :)

Horse_in_barn.jpg
    800 x 600 - 370K
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    Happy with the way the horse II renders in C8.5b not happy with the Llama fur mesh and gave up waiting for it to load as described by wendy.

Here's a quick one done in C8.5b in the barnyard :)

Nice lighting. The horse looks good. Is the barn interior something DAZ sells?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,811
    edited December 1969

yep.. though was included with DAZ Horse 2 Starter Bundle that I purchased.

separately here
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/new-releases/barn-yard

edited December 1969

The structure itself looks good, but those straw bales look like crap. Clearly whoever modeled those hasn't been near one in years.

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

The structure itself looks good, but those straw bales look like crap.

I dunno, to me they rather look more like straw bales that have been run through a compressor to make lozenges. :)

Though I don't have the llama (yet) I was playing around with the horse 2. Thanks to having the tail and mane separate and not having builtin transmapped fetlocks you can actually use something other than the photorealistic render engine and get reasonable results. This was with Carrara's non-photorealistic renderer. On a side note, I wish it was multi-threaded, but for some reason it is a single threaded task despite being tiled.

Non-Photo_Large_Rough_-_reduced.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 85K