poser 9 on sale

AlbiejeeAlbiejee Posts: 153
edited December 1969 in The Commons

with poser 9 on sale I have to ask the question. What does Poser 9 have that Daz studio doesn't?

Most of my daz product will work in poser 9. Is poser worth it for an average tinkerer, 3d hobbiest? At $69.99 and probably a few weeks of my life to get all my content loaded into poser 9 is there any huge benefit to poser 9 over daz 4 pro?

Any poser users that can give me an educated answer?

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,604
    edited December 1969

Tough question as the main reason for which app a user chooses usually comes down to the interface. So many in this community have no desire to learn anything new when it comes to the user interface.
    Biggest pros of poser IMO are the cloth room and the firefly renderer I am a long time poser user, have versions 5, 6, 7 and 2012. I prefer DS4,5 simply because genesis, the DS smoothing modifier and autofit makes my workflow zoom right along. That and I render in Luxrender with the reality plugin for DS. As for content, I have my poser runtimes setup how i like and link to them in both DS and poser with no problems.

I would say that if you can afford it, then check it out. Once the reality for Poser plugin comes out next year, i am sure i will be spending more time in poser.

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

leifgl said:
    with poser 9 on sale I have to ask the question. What does Poser 9 have that Daz studio doesn't?

Most of my daz product will work in poser 9. Is poser worth it for an average tinkerer, 3d hobbiest? At $69.99 and probably a few weeks of my life to get all my content loaded into poser 9 is there any huge benefit to poser 9 over daz 4 pro?

Any poser users that can give me an educated answer?

Not a fair question for a couple of reasons. The first problem is that Poser Pro 2012 is the better comparison to DS 4.5 Pro. Poser 9 has limitations in the content creation side of things. The Pro versions of DS and Poser are both the high end versions. Secondly, both programs are, in my opinion, complimentary rather than being in opposition to one another. Obviously each has its own strengths and weaknesses, but ultimately, is a matter of preference more than anything else, especially for just a hobbyist.

I prefer Poser because it was the interface that I found easier to learn at the time. But I am starting to get familiar with DS's newer interface, and I could see myself using it. I still prefer Poser however, because it's the program I know best.

• AlbiejeeAlbiejee Posts: 153
    edited December 1969

ok i just did a little more research. Seems poser 9 is 32bit only and has more limitations, so as you say poser 2012 is more on par with daz 4.5, still on sale too though not as nice as $69.99.

the primary benefit above interface seems to be the sss shaders and maybe better dynamic capabilities?
    I too use Reality/Lux renders a fair amount. It seems like I only really need to get Poser if my goal is to become a content developer or just to spend more money on getting all those nice looking poser only items at Renderosity.

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

leifgl said:
    ok i just did a little more research. Seems poser 9 is 32bit only and has more limitations, so as you say poser 2012 is more on par with daz 4.5, still on sale too though not as nice as $69.99.

the primary benefit above interface seems to be the sss shaders and maybe better dynamic capabilities?
    I too use Reality/Lux renders a fair amount. It seems like I only really need to get Poser if my goal is to become a content developer or just to spend more money on getting all those nice looking poser only items at Renderosity.

If you're doing content creation then it's a must, now the genesis is working poser to get both markets and to support both platform, you'll get more back at the end of the day, but it will be a tough curve learning something new.