Carrara Community Art Gallery - Show us your Renders!!!

Comments

• mschackmschack Posts: 337

WIP music studio.  Trying to get a realistic interior effect without Indirect lighting.

tr7.png
    1920 x 987 - 2M

and some sci fi action...

scifi1.png
    1600 x 872 - 1M
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Looking great, @mschack.  

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    Diomede said:

Looking great, @mschack.  

Agreed!!

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    edited September 2020
    Diomede said:

Looking great, @mschack.  

Agree! Great renders mschack.

Can I ask, are you using 'regular' lighting or the more expensive / render intense  Global Illumination, which has other more expensive render time components?
    The nice blue shadows on the snowy landscape look great!
    I'm a bit obsessed with atmospheric perspective landscape stuff. smiley

Post edited by DesertDude on

Thanks for positive feedback guys!

Diomede said:

Looking great, @mschack.  

Can I ask, are you using 'regular' lighting or the more expensive / render intense  Global Illumination, which has other more expensive render time components?

Hi @DesertDude i understand your obsession!  I too am trying to find ways to make my Carrara renders look more realistic.  I am not using Indirect lighting in any of these renders.  In the outdoor scenes the atmoshere mostly comes from Carrara's Realistic Sky's Fog setting.  It basically does most of the work and creates the nice depth cueing.  I found the fog and haze only work well in large magnitude scenes though.  As for the blue shadows, the Realistic Sky control has a "sky colour" setting under the "atmosphere" tab which takes over the general Scene ambient settings colour.  The general ambient control then switches to a brightness slider.  In this case I made the colour a lightish blue and the brightness control is at 21%.  Usually the brighter the scene the more ambient lighting you can get away with.  All these things need to be tweaked of course depending on youir scene and what looks good to you.  The snowy scene renders in 1 and a half minutes, the scifi scene in 30 seconds.  Another trick since there is no GI is to add other lights to the scene.  In the scifi scene the mid distance hills and the distant mountains on the left are lit with a spotlight to make it look like the sun is shining through.  Using the light cone on the spot you can also achieve a god ray effect. 

I have been experimenting with ways to create an ambience effect in Carrara, and find the best method so far is to place a spot in the scene that shines across the cameras view using the light cone, but where you can't see the edges of the cone.  Adding turbulence to the light cone gives a nice atmospheric effect that you can see in my indoor render above.  The light cone almost adds it's own ambient lighting to things but note that it tends to wash out shadow areas in the background.

I do like Carraras indirect lighting and find it most useful for indoor scenes where you are specifically trying to achieve a look with only one or two light sources illuminating the entire room.

I would like to know what others have come up with, does there happend to be a thread just for realistic rendering tips/tricks? Or should I start one :)

• video

edited September 2020
    mschack said:

Diomede said:

Looking great, @mschack.  

Hi @DesertDude i understand your obsession!  I too am trying to find ways to make my Carrara renders look more realistic.  I am not using Indirect lighting in any of these renders.  In the outdoor scenes the atmoshere mostly comes from Carrara's Realistic Sky's Fog setting.  It basically does most of the work and creates the nice depth cueing.  I found the fog and haze only work well in large magnitude scenes though.  As for the blue shadows, the Realistic Sky control has a "sky colour" setting under the "atmosphere" tab which takes over the general Scene ambient settings colour.  The general ambient control then switches to a brightness slider.  In this case I made the colour a lightish blue and the brightness control is at 21%.  Usually the brighter the scene the more ambient lighting you can get away with.  All these things need to be tweaked of course depending on youir scene and what looks good to you.  The snowy scene renders in 1 and a half minutes, the scifi scene in 30 seconds.  Another trick since there is no GI is to add other lights to the scene.  In the scifi scene the mid distance hills and the distant mountains on the left are lit with a spotlight to make it look like the sun is shining through.  Using the light cone on the spot you can also achieve a god ray effect. 

I have been experimenting with ways to create an ambience effect in Carrara, and find the best method so far is to place a spot in the scene that shines across the cameras view using the light cone, but where you can't see the edges of the cone.  Adding turbulence to the light cone gives a nice atmospheric effect that you can see in my indoor render above.  The light cone almost adds it's own ambient lighting to things but note that it tends to wash out shadow areas in the background.

I do like Carraras indirect lighting and find it most useful for indoor scenes where you are specifically trying to achieve a look with only one or two light sources illuminating the entire room.

I would like to know what others have come up with, does there happend to be a thread just for realistic rendering tips/tricks? Or should I start one :)

Thanks mschack for the explanations.

Nice tip using a light cone. Cool yes

Here are a few links to some experiments I did using Realistic Sky vs. using some of Carrara's Multipass render options, along with cooking up some of my own custom mattes, some of which may or may not have been necessary, just experimenting. This link has 4 posts with examples and screen grabs:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3421681/#Comment_3421681

This was another quick experiment using Realistic Sky only

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3619976/#Comment_3619976

Here is one more, but the image seems gone from the original post so posting again. Same technqiues using multipass renders and assemebling in a compositing app. Not sure how 'realistic' it is, might be kind of 'Candyland-ish'.  smiley

final_007_comp.jpg
    640 x 480 - 176K
    Post edited by DesertDude on

video

That's friggin cool Wendy! yes

That is amazing Wendy. Lighting is awesome!

• Wendy, you must have assigned emmisive surfaces to just about everything. smiley  You are sure making a case for Octane.

mschack said:

Diomede said:

Looking great, @mschack.  

Some interesting tips there, thanks!  Sometimes I just put a plane in front of the camera to act as a filter, and start experimenting with textures and transparancy.

I have been tempted to start a photo-realism thread.  There currently is an NPR thread, and it has been super valuable. 

Handdrawn stuff is so seductive.  But making a render look more real is cool as well.  If you want to start a PR thread, please feel free!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited September 2020

it's just the default Howie Farkes Darkwald scenes (with the details  and lighting dropped to 4)

I interpolated it with DAIN-APP 8X after rendering and added some BorisFX Particle Illusion in post

is not Octanedevil

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited September 2020

great renders by everyone 

sometimes Carrara terrain renders do need a little post colour grading hue/ contrast etc adjustment because they seem to look as though they use the cheap Agfa film I used to buy as a teen for my holiday snaps cheeky

maybe some of those LUT files mentioned elsewhere in an image editor 

Wendy, you must have assigned emmisive surfaces to just about everything. smiley  You are sure making a case for Octane.

mschack said:

Diomede said:

Looking great, @mschack.  

Some interesting tips there, thanks!  Sometimes I just put a plane in front of the camera to act as a filter, and start experimenting with textures and transparancy.

I have been tempted to start a photo-realism thread.  There currently is an NPR thread, and it has been super valuable. 

Handdrawn stuff is so seductive.  But making a render look more real is cool as well.  If you want to start a PR thread, please feel free!

hey @UnifiedBrain, I have tried the textured plane idea too, though I have found it kills all the post render effects such as lens flare.  Is there a way around that?

•  it's just the default Howie Farkes Darkwald scenes (with the details  and lighting dropped to 4)

I interpolated it with DAIN-APP 8X after rendering and added some BorisFX Particle Illusion in post

is not Octanedevil

Well, that is good to know!  I have Darkwald, but have never opened it.  If the default lighting is that good, you might consider modifying it for use on future videos. :)

What do you mean, "details and lighting dropped to four?"

Also, how did DAIN affect your video?  Did it make the slowmo smoother?

Always trying to learn, thanks. :)

• mschack said:

Wendy, you must have assigned emmisive surfaces to just about everything. smiley  You are sure making a case for Octane.

mschack said:

Diomede said:

Looking great, @mschack.  

hey @UnifiedBrain, I have tried the textured plane idea too, though I have found it kills all the post render effects such as lens flare.  Is there a way around that?

Yes, I remember some problems in trying to mechanically create layers in the assembly room (as opposed to creating layers in the texture room).  But these were just experiments, and I likely didn't resolve them.  I think it also makes a difference if you are going for realism, or more of an artistic effect.

• it is slow enough without improving the default lighting more IM

I usually go the other waycheeky

in the render settings the detail was 1 and lighting/shadows 1 which is unnecessary for a HD animation and terribly slow, I drop that for most things, it's basically your pixel filter and shading rate to use the DAZ studio equivalents

• Sorry, I have no idea what you just said.

What does DAIN do for your video?

I have never seen a "1 detail" or "lighting/shadows 1."  Where are these located?

What is "IM?"

• I mix my softwares up in terminology a lot blush

its object accuracy NOT detail

and Shadow Accuracy

was not on my computer typing that and iClone was the one I confused the terms withcheeky same effect

IM is in my with the O for opinion accicidently droppedblush

I suffer Typoneseblush

DAIN-APP is an AI interpolation software that calculates inbetween frames, I render 100 and interpolate to 800

Untitled.jpg
    237 x 360 - 30K
  • Ahh, now I get it, thanks.  I rarely even touch those controls these days.  Just not that much difference, even in single frame renders.  Unless you like to wait. :)

Regarding the DAIN app, what kind of difference do you see after using it?  In other words, how is it benefitting you?

edited September 2020

Ahh, now I get it, thanks.  I rarely even touch those controls these days.  Just not that much difference, even in single frame renders.  Unless you like to wait. :)

Regarding the DAIN app, what kind of difference do you see after using it?  In other words, how is it benefitting you?

less time rendering 

100 frames is 8X shorter than 800

those Darkwald scenes took 5 hours each

the last one sadly didn't interpolate well as too many big camera pans

Needs more shrubberies!  Btw hair makes great weeds, and you can style them! 

nature.png
    1600 x 807 - 2M
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

great image @mschack and use of Carrara hair yes

how long did it take to render?

Thanks!  I cranked up the antialiasing and it took about 11min.  Just using ambient occlusion.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

yes awesome.. my kind of render smiley

mschack said:

Fantastic!!!

mschack said:

Gorgeous!!yes

mschack said:

Gorgeous!!yes

You're Gorgeous!!!

Is nsfw images ok in this forum?  Nothing explicit of course.

Thanks @DesertDude and @Dartanbeck

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524
    mschack said:

Is nsfw images ok in this forum?  Nothing explicit of course.

Thanks @DesertDude and @Dartanbeck

https://www.daz3d.com/terms-of-service