Need help using Stand Based Hair Tool

mechw8mechw8 Posts: 32

Hi all, I've been trying to use the stand based hair tool for a while now and can't seem to get the results I want. I'm trying to get a part in the hair, but every time I styl it, there always seems to be a bunch of hairs in the middle of the scalp that are sticking up all over the place, and arn't combed sown with all the the rest of the hair. I have the hair density set to 200. The attached screenshots show what I'm talking about. Why does this happen and how do I fix it? Thanks.

Styled hair 1.png
682 x 776 - 727K
Styked hair 2.png
670 x 931 - 897K
Post edited by mechw8 on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,114
    edited March 2023

The setting you're looking for is interpolation, but I don't remember the more specific details.

edit: just dug into it, and in DS's SBH tool it's "single guide" on the Style tab. Increase base and tip to reduce the influence of adjacent guides, i.e. get rid of the messy strands in between.

Post edited by Gordig on
  • UncannyValetUncannyValet Posts: 141
    edited March 2023

I will release a video tutorial soon with some comments about using SBH tool.

When it comes to making parts, I would suggest the easiest method is to just create entirely new hair piece for the separate parts of the hair. This is because the hairs within the parted region do not usually comply.  One way to make separate hair pieces when you already have them as one piece is to duplicate the SBH and then go in and Paint out the other part of the hair.

Yes, it means you won't be able to visualise both parts of the hair wihtin the SBH Editor at the same time, but I find it's usually the only way forward.

Alternatively (and i dont recommend this), under the Style tab, there is an Autoparting setting (under Interpolation) where you can change the threshold when parting occurs, the problem with this setting is that if you change it, or add a new weight map to it, basically do anything but leave it as default, there is a risk of introducing a lot of artefacts to hair.  It may be enticing to use this setting because at first it give you what you want, but dont tell me i didnt warn you if later down the line you see a lot of spiky artefacts that you cant fix.  I usually avoid tweaking those Autoparting settings.

Hair2.jpg
    1234 x 3484 - 606K
    Post edited by UncannyValet on
  • Gordig said:

The setting you're looking for is interpolation, but I don't remember the more specific details.

edit: just dug into it, and in DS's SBH tool it's "single guide" on the Style tab. Increase base and tip to reduce the influence of adjacent guides, i.e. get rid of the messy strands in between.

It might depend on the Style Curve density, i.e., number of style curves in the part region (which itself depends on the number of vertices of the haircap in that region) as to whether following single Style Curve will give the desired appearance.

E.g., you might end up with a criss-cross or zig-zag part instead of a straight part if there arent enough style curves in that area.

• mechw8mechw8 Posts: 32

Gordig said:

Thanks; I'm not familiar with that setting so I'll have to do some research to see how it works.

• mechw8mechw8 Posts: 32

UncannyValet said:

I will release a video tutorial soon with some comments about using SBH tool.

When it comes to making parts, I would suggest the easiest method is to just create entirely new hair piece for the separate parts of the hair. This is because the hairs within the parted region do not usually comply.  One way to make separate hair pieces when you already have them as one piece is to duplicate the SBH and then go in and Paint out the other part of the hair.

Yes, it means you won't be able to visualise both parts of the hair wihtin the SBH Editor at the same time, but I find it's usually the only way forward.

Alternatively (and i dont recommend this), under the Style tab, there is an Autoparting setting (under Interpolation) where you can change the threshold when parting occurs, the problem with this setting is that if you change it, or add a new weight map to it, basically do anything but leave it as default, there is a risk of introducing a lot of artefacts to hair.  It may be enticing to use this setting because at first it give you what you want, but dont tell me i didnt warn you if later down the line you see a lot of spiky artefacts that you cant fix.  I usually avoid tweaking those Autoparting settings.

This seems like it could be a good alternative to getting the results I want. I don't mind if I have to do it in two steps; I just need it to look right. I'll give this a try and post back later with my results,. Thanks/