easier way to add texture to imported obj asset?

So all imported obj stuff to Daz are without texture, I don't mind manually adding texture/normal/diffuse when the asset only has10 material maps, but when I imported something with poor documention with 100 material maps, there's no way I can find out which texture belong to which mat, there got be a automated way to add textures to obj assets, I can't find any on youtube.  Any Daz guru have any advise? 

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

one thing to try is putting the obj and mtl file in the same folder as the textures

D|S likes quotation marks around texture paths so won't find them without

this doesn't always work as it won't even look for textures with some mtl files either

• windli3356windli3356 Posts: 219

WendyLuvsCatz said:

one thing to try is putting the obj and mtl file in the same folder as the textures

D|S likes quotation marks around texture paths so won't find them without

this doesn't always work as it won't even look for textures with some mtl files either

Thanks for your reply, I always do that, but I don't think Daz has the script to auto load texture to different mat maps like blenders or UE4

Edit: I was able to get better result by 1st load obj asset into blender format and then use Daz to import again, textures now all in tact, but words write on the cloth were missing, so it's still not perfect.   

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,835
    edited March 2023

This a very common issue with most of the user base, using "File > Import" means you are looking outside of the mapped content directories, as a result DS has no idea where anything is. DS will load any matching MTL along with the OBJ, but it has no point of reference when it comes to the textures.

As a result the pathways in the MTL need to be the full pathway, including the drive letter, of where those textures are located on your system.

EDIT

Image one shows a typical setup, some times all the files unpack into one folder, other times you get the OBJ and MTL and a sub folder called "maps" which has all of the textures.
    As you can from the opened MTL on the left, the pathways are just the texture names, like this "File > Import" has no idea where to start looking for those textures.

If you look at image two, that's my Content Library tab, under "Other Import Formats" I've added a base directory called "Wavefront", that Gazebo folder is the same one that you see in image one. Like this DS will look for the textures from the location of the MTL, and in this case loads them without issue.

MTL_setup.jpg
    1360 x 768 - 210K
    Imports.jpg
    494 x 549 - 78K
    Post edited by Bejaymac on