Large scene renders DS unusable

Loading "Country Ford" Iray and switching to Iray Preview Daz Studio's responsiveness slows to "clicking the mode dropdown takes 30 seconds to come up". What are my options here?

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,570

It would help if you linked to the product you are having issues with since it doesn't appear to exist?

• Main option is don't use Iray preview because it's too slow. Use texture shaded preview instead. Regards, Richard.
  • SofaCitizen said:

It would help if you linked to the product you are having issues with since it doesn't appear to exist?

I would assume https://www.daz3d.com/country-ford-for-daz-studio-and-carrara , which is demanding

Richard Haseltine said:

I would assume https://www.daz3d.com/country-ford-for-daz-studio-and-carrara , which is demanding

Thanks. Although that's a slap on the wrist for the store search since it gave me 41 matches and this was not amoungst them.

• pixelquackpixelquack Posts: 261

SofaCitizen said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Thanks. Although that's a slap on the wrist for the store search since it gave me 41 matches and this was not amoungst them.

*That* then is another thing, the recent search results in the store. I found the same issue and on a whim tried to capitalize, and lo and behold "Country Ford" instead of "country ford" finds it.

"Demanding", well, be that as it may, I wouldn't mind if rendering was slow but if it brings down the rest of the program's UI functions, well.

richardandtracy said:

Main option is don't use Iray preview because it's too slow. Use texture shaded preview instead. Regards, Richard.

A lot of things are not visible in tex prev in this kit. So you have to guess if your actors collide with the scene, and checking means with initializing you lose a minute. 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

pixelquack said:

Loading "Country Ford" Iray and switching to Iray Preview Daz Studio's responsiveness slows to "clicking the mode dropdown takes 30 seconds to come up". What are my options here?

One thing to realize when it comes to 3d and daz studio, the more you add to a scene and the more complex a scene is, the better your hardware needs to be to be able to handle it. Everyone has different cumputer specs so while one product might do well on one users system, it might not do well on anothers due to different specs. in my experience, if you have problems getting iray previw to work, you can forget about rendering the scene,

Another thing to realize, every PA designs differently and also have different PC specs they use when developing and testing a product. I have two products from that PA and both are entirely too resource heavy, so I no longer purchase anything from them and there are several other PAs I avoid because they don't realize that an environment is meant to be a backdrop and should leave plenty of resource headroom to add figures, hair and clothing.

You have three options, either remove some parts of the environment until it works for you, use the scene optimizer product in the store to reduce the textures, or use another product. 

pixelquack said:

SofaCitizen said:

Richard Haseltine said:

*That* then is another thing, the recent search results in the store. I found the same issue and on a whim tried to capitalize, and lo and behold "Country Ford" instead of "country ford" finds it.

"Demanding", well, be that as it may, I wouldn't mind if rendering was slow but if it brings down the rest of the program's UI functions, well.

Well, to add to the confusion, I was using the initial capitalisations before and not getting the right results. However, I have just tried with everything lowercase and it still returns 41 results but this time both "Country Ford for Daz Studio and Carrara" and "UltraScenery - Country Ford" were included when previously they were not.

Anyway, that's veering off topic a bit. Unfortunately, I don't have this product to test myself and while Iray preview is often quite sluggish for me I don't think I have had it affect the interface to that extent (yet). I think the answer from FSMCDesigns is the right one and so you'll have to cut down or optimise the scene a bit to fit into what your machine can handle.

• What are your system specifications, especially graphics card and system memory?

One thing to realize when it comes to 3d and daz studio, the more you add to a scene and the more complex a scene is, the better your hardware needs to be to be able to handle it. Everyone has different cumputer specs so while one product might do well on one users system, it might not do well on anothers due to different specs. in my experience, if you have problems getting iray previw to work, you can forget about rendering the scene,

Another thing to realize, every PA designs differently and also have different PC specs they use when developing and testing a product. I have two products from that PA and both are entirely too resource heavy, so I no longer purchase anything from them and there are several other PAs I avoid because they don't realize that an environment is meant to be a backdrop and should leave plenty of resource headroom to add figures, hair and clothing.

You have three options, either remove some parts of the environment until it works for you, use the scene optimizer product in the store to reduce the textures, or use another product. 

3090 on a ryzen 5600x with 64gb isn't too shabby I'll say 

• JPJP Posts: 60

pixelquack said:

3090 on a ryzen 5600x with 64gb isn't too shabby I'll say 

Can you upgrade to 128 GB RAM? I have 128 GB in my system paired with a 3090. I built this computer in 2017 and added the 3090 later. It has held up well over the years. I have had some big scenes where a lot of system RAM is used. Sometimes I have to close out Photoshop or any other programs to free up resources. You might want to check how much free RAM you have via task manager when you're working on a big scene. And if you have programs like Photoshop open at the same time it could drag down the system. The details pane in Task Manager is very helpful. Add a column to track GPU RAM as well as System RAM.

Well of course I could, but since Daz is stuck in this scene not consuming more than 26GB of said 64 I don't see the point. VRAM usage never exceeds 5GB, so I think Iray gets stuck somewhere. 

Latest gaming drivers from 28th Feb.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,174
    edited March 2023

pixelquack said:

Well of course I could, but since Daz is stuck in this scene not consuming more than 26GB of said 64 I don't see the point. VRAM usage never exceeds 5GB, so I think Iray gets stuck somewhere. 

Have you tried the studio drivers? 

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • JPJP Posts: 60

pixelquack said:

The extra RAM is not for DAZ but for other applications. What if you want to run Photoshop, internet browsers, etc. while using DAZ? I have though seen DAZ use more than 26 GB on my system.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,298

JP said:

pixelquack said:

The extra RAM is not for DAZ but for other applications. What if you want to run Photoshop, internet browsers, etc. while using DAZ? I have though seen DAZ use more than 26 GB on my system.

I have seen RAM usage go over 32GB's several times and that was when I had just 8GB's of VRAM 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,935

According to the product page that scene uses lots of instancing, so first thing I would make sure of is that "Instancing Optimization" is set to "memory".