Meaning of the isRender parameter to update and finalize

Hi, I was wondering if I can get some clarification about the exact meaning of the boolean isRender parameter to the update and finalize members of DzNode.

For example, it seems that setting this to true causes getCachedGeom to return the unsubdivided mesh, unless the vew subdivision level is equal to the render subdivision level. Is that right? What is the purpose of this behaviour?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited May 2022

isRender is typically set true when performing an "offline" render (frequency of updates is low), otherwise it should be set false to prevent/avoid thrashing of the geometry cache.

An offline render being a full render, rather than a preview Drawstyle render.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Richard Haseltine said:

isRender is typically set true when performing an "offline" render (frequency of updates is low), otherwise it should be set false to prevent/avoid thrashing of the geometry cache.

An offline render being a full render, rather than a preview Drawstyle render.

Hi, thanks for responding! It looks like the first paragraph there is quoted from some documentation, but I can't find it in the documentation I have. Where is it from?

Is it expected that the cached geometry retrieved afer passing isRender=true contains the base mesh with no subdivision having been performed? That's what I'm seeing in almost all cases except when the view subdivision level is equal to the render subdivision level, which doesn't make sense, so I'm hoping for an explanation of what to expect, geometry-wise, for isRender true/false.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718

That was the information I was given, rather than quoting documentation.

I agree the cached geometry behaviour would seem odd - initially I read it the other way round, which would be expected.