Reducing memory strain with Cutout Opacity and Geoshells?

DefaultNameDefaultName Posts: 388

Hello, quick two questions

1) Does setting cutout opacity to zero for parts of an object I don't want to render reduce the memory used for that object?

2) If not, can I make a geoshell, hide the original object, and "turn off" the surfaces in the parameters tab of the geoshell to reduce memory?

Sorry if that sounds confusing, I do this all the time with figures, but am now faced with a large prop that I only want to render one part of, and I'm trying to find the easiest way to do so without taxing my PC. Thank you.

Post edited by DefaultName on

Comments

• DefaultName said:

1) Does setting cutout opacity to zero for parts of an object I don't want to render reduce the memory used for that object?

No, it still gets passed to Iray for evaluation.

2) If not, can I make a geoshell, hide the original object, and "turn off" the surfaces in the parameters tab of the geoshell to reduce memory?

I think that should work, but I've not tested.

Sorry if that sounds confusing, I do this all the time with figures, but am now faced with a large prop that I only want to render one part of, and I'm trying to find the easiest way to do so without taxing my PC. Thank you.

• Richard Haseltine said:

DefaultName said:

No, it still gets passed to Iray for evaluation.

I think that should work, but I've not tested.

Okay great, thank you. I might test this by seeing how much memory gets use in the iray preview in the viewport, comparing if I hide geoshell parts or not.