Program Slows Down with more Props

The more props that I add to a scene, the slower the system runs. While I'm sure that this makes sense cause it's taking up more RAM, I'm trying to build full villages. Having the system slow down when I place more than 10 trees is becoming a bit a of a pain. And it doesn't slow do to an unbearable amount, just enough that it might freeze frame for like half a second. The more that I add though, the more it slows. Is there a setting that I cna use to change this? Thanks ahead of time. 

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

Unfortunately that is the nature of 3D. One thing that helps when you have lots of the same objects is to use instances. For example if you place 20 trees, have one be the real tree and the other 19 instances of the real tree.

There is also scene optimixer which helps with textures and other odds and ends https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer

• Thanks for referring me to that product! I didn't even know that stuff like that existed in the store. And I also created the instances of my figure, and it ran much smoother! The thread that I used to show me how to do it was this -

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/198276/object-instancing-with-daz

I'm going to research this later, but do you perhaps have an explanation on what instances are? Like I said, I'm going to look it up, but I know that I might encounter some really tech heavy words for someone who only just started seriously digital design a couple of months ago. Thanks again! 

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,522
    edited January 2021

If you think of instances as imaginary copies of the original. Then the copy can be drawn on screen somewhere, rotated & scaled, but the program only keeps the original in memory and a little bit extra telling it where the extra imaginary copies are. That way, with something like UltraScenery, there can be 160,000 instances of a grass plant, 220,000 instances of a pebble, 20,000 instances of a tree at the same time and the program doesn't have a complete fit, and actually use less RAM than with one G8F character.

Regards,

Richard.

Post edited by richardandtracy on