Simulating joints only with Dforce?

So..

just wondering. Dforce can simulate surfaces. But can it simulate joints?

I stumblem upon a problem. I want to simulate a, lets say, rope. Unfortunately, when the simulation starts, the rope gets flattened, because it's "empty inside". If the rope is rigged - is there a way to simulate physics of joints only instead of surfaces?

cheers :)

Comments

• You could use a dForce Addon to keep the rope in shape - a separate object which has vertices coincident with those of the rope, for example a set of overlapping triangles at each loop of the rope's geoemtry. Addons collide only at the vertices so they can pin the main mesh.

• onixonix Posts: 282

In my experience that's a prety much a hopeless idea if you want to prevent the rope from flattening you probably can modify rope geometry by adding extra planes, each made of a single polygon, perpendicularly to the rope axis as this will hold the rope and prevent flattening but it may cause some problems with collisions because it will make it thicker than it really is.

It is not ideal but should do the same as Richard suggested with addons and most vendors seem to do it as a quick hack.

I think the better solution would be to use scripts to simulate physic rather than dforce but we need to write a script for that first

• Thanks for the answers guys, I'll try the addon thing :)

• If it's dforce ropes you want, try this: https://www.daz3d.com/sy-dforce-ropes-vines-and-tubes