dForce hair and large file sizes

dForce hair simulations are resulting in a ridiculously large save size. What's going on here? I'm working with Magnolia hair for the first time, and saving it to a file after a simulation has been performed results in a file size that is beyond 1GB. That's the only difference with this scene and previous backup saves.

I can also save the file without any simulation data and the file size is normal too.

Comments

• For each vertex in strand of the hair DS has to store the location - or for a Timeline simualtion, the locations. That is potentially a lot of data.

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,506

Richard Haseltine said:

For each vertex in strand of the hair DS has to store the location - or for a Timeline simualtion, the locations. That is potentially a lot of data.

Is there a way to cull frames of data except for the current frame? I'd like to be able to save the file at the final frame for rendering. 

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

You could probably save the final shape of the hair as an OBJ and then apply that as a morph to the hair.

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,506

Sevrin said:

You could probably save the final shape of the hair as an OBJ and then apply that as a morph to the hair.

Yes, this is what I ended up doing. Shame there isn't a way to export or save simulation data from a single frame... or even delete simulation/animation data from the timeline.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

mtl1 said:

Sevrin said:

Yes, this is what I ended up doing. Shame there isn't a way to export or save simulation data from a single frame... or even delete simulation/animation data from the timeline.

Does freezing simulation not work?