Viewport preview becomes very low res after a while

Hello,

I'm quite new to DAZ and learning to set up the lighting for portrait shots. I'm currently reading tutorials from real-life photographers and try to re-create some of the stuff in DAZ.

I start by switching off the skydome and camera headlamp so I can work only with spotlights. I've already build a softbox, umbrella etc. by playing around with light geometry, lumen, height diameter and bringing some simple mesh into the scene. Today I learn to build different light settings like loop or rembrandt lighting. I'm having a great time right now,... I never really understood the basics of lighting before. It's great to see what's possible with a program like DAZ and how natural digital shots might look.

...BUT: the more I play with different lights in the scene, DAZ eventually refuses to work. Weeks before when I just used the light from the skydome, this was no problem. But now after a few minutes of moving lights while in NVIDIA Iray preview mode, the preview will have a very low resolution - with big pixlels like in an mid-90s video game. The only workaround I found so far is to exit the program, also kill DAZ in the task manager and restart the program. Then I would have around 5-10 minutes until the problem comes back again.

Any tips on how to fix this? Thanks in advance!

CPU: 32 GB, GPU GTX 1660 6GB, Win10, all Driver up to date

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

Note: you don't have to build a sftbox with mesh etc. The Iray spotlights have geometry and, when used, can emulate a real world softbox (i.e. soft shadows).