Kim Seohyun problems - Iray issue ?

nowefgnowefg Posts: 557

A nice asian anime character, except:

The Tongue Out morph doesn't work at all, for me anyway. Anyone get that to work?

Pubic Hair, a nice realistic hair prop, I assume fibermesh, that looks fine in the viewport, but renders very strangely. Even with Cast Shadows off, the center area of the prop renders as a very unrealistic looking dark, amorphous blob. I've tried several Surface Tab things, like glossy to zero, but there's not much to change beyond that. Reducing Cutout Opacity, for one or both materials, affects the overall visablility of the hair, but even dialed way down, the dark area remains, just not as opaque.

It's the kind of distortion I might expect with fibermesh if Cast Shadows was on, but it isn't.

That one's got me stumped, but I wasn't sure about posting images. Anyone getting good, non-amorphous-blob renders using the pubic hair prop?

Edit: Turns out the hair prop is not Fibermesh, it's a jumble of transmaps, overlapping and interpenetrating. Taking a closer look at the dark blob, it looks like several overlapping rectangles of shadow, the shape of the transmap polygons, not totally opaque, but enough so that the cumulative shadow darkens toward the center of the jumble into a single dark mass.

Iray is rendering shadows, and although it is respecting Cutout opacity, it's seems to be ignoring the Cast Shadows parameter, so, short of using Geometry Editor to unravel the jumble and remove the worst offender poly's, I guess the only fix for this annoying issue is to correct the actual transmaps, which are not 100% on the transparency. There is a bit of gray that may be causing the shadows to show up. I am going to try that. The prop itself is one of the more realistic, less silly pubic hairs out there, and would make a good addition to a realistic human body render.

Post edited by nowefg on

Comments

• nowefgnowefg Posts: 557

I'll report back about the map fix.

• nowefgnowefg Posts: 557

This one's an oh well, I guess. Removing all gray traces from the transmaps made a very small difference.

The Geometry Editor was somewhat more effective, used to hide some of the more obvious shadow casting polygons, but there are so many intersecting polygons, there's a bit of infinite regress about doing it. Eventually, to lose the shadow blob, I'll lose most of the prop.

So, what's left in this question of Iray, transmaps, and shdows? Anyone have a tip?