Resource Hogging

Does anyone else find DAZ is a bit of a resource hog? For example, I closed the program about 10 minutes ago, but it's still hanging around in Task Manager taking up 12% CPU time and 3.9GB of RAM. Power usage is showing as "very high".

As I store some material on a USB stick for working on another machine, this means it keeps hold of file handles and other processes which won't let me disconnect the drive, close explorer windows and suchlike.

I can force-stop the task okay, then remove the drive, but can anyone give me some advice on why it does this, and any way of stopping it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Leave it as long as it's using a thread (12% is one thread on an eight-thread CPU) - it'c learing up after itself. If CPU activity drops to 0% then you may need to force quit.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

10 minutes?  I've shut down DS, gone away for a few hours and DS was still running when I got back.  Sometimes, you gotta take Old Yeller to the back of the barn.

• Leave it as long as it's using a thread (12% is one thread on an eight-thread CPU) - it'c learing up after itself. If CPU activity drops to 0% then you may need to force quit.

So you reckon I'm leaving junk if I put it down prematurely?

The risk of a forced exit is the corruption of the UI or even database files.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

Leave it as long as it's using a thread (12% is one thread on an eight-thread CPU) - it'c learing up after itself. If CPU activity drops to 0% then you may need to force quit.

The risk of not doing it is that you'll never be able to shut down your computer or ever be able to use DS again.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,423
    edited November 2020
    Sevrin said:

Leave it as long as it's using a thread (12% is one thread on an eight-thread CPU) - it'c learing up after itself. If CPU activity drops to 0% then you may need to force quit.

The risk of not doing it is that you'll never be able to shut down your computer or ever be able to use DS again.

If the CPU is not active then yes, I wouldforce close - the comments above were related to situations when the CPU is being used by the DS process.

If you check the release thread it appears that there may be a layout-related cause for the 0% CPU hangs.

Edit: see the Change Log http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_14_1_11 - it both explains the issue (having the IPR Toolbar enabled in the Aux Viewport, but the Aux Viewport not opened  in the session) and says it is fixed in that build.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on