Tonemapping

Hi,

why has tone mapping options gone from the Render Pane? I can see the options in the renderring window but, you kind of want to set those before you start rendering because changing them starts the render again. Can I get them back or do I have to get rid of the new Daz 4.14?

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,391

They're now added to a node you can find in scene tab.

You can create that node before rendering using Create > New Environment Options Node

• AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718

Nevermind. It must have been glitching. I had changed the location of my Render Library and that had glitched too. After resetting that the Tonemapping and Environment came back. 

Leana said:

You can create that node before rendering using Create > New Environment Options Node

No, I don't want to use Filament.

• AbnerK said:
    Leana said:

This is not a feature linked exclusively to Filament. Using nodes, which can have their values addjsuted in the Parameters pane, rather than settings in a differnt pane, makes it clearer that these are things in the scene and provides a more consistent system. That doesn't mean I don't find the concept somewhat uncomfortable still, but theer is logic behind it and in the long-run (or for new users) it may well make sense.

AbnerK said:
    Leana said:

This is not a feature linked exclusively to Filament. Using nodes, which can have their values addjsuted in the Parameters pane, rather than settings in a differnt pane, makes it clearer that these are things in the scene and provides a more consistent system. That doesn't mean I don't find the concept somewhat uncomfortable still, but theer is logic behind it and in the long-run (or for new users) it may well make sense.

Ah, I had no idea that I was supposed to use the Parameters tab with these.  TBH I still don't reallly feel like I understand the Render settings. My Mac doesn't even use some of them. I only just discoverd that denoiser does something and isn't just a fancy wine.  

It would make even more sense if they were in the Camera Pane

• AbnerK said:

Cameras have their own settings, fStop there controls Depth of Field and if we ever get motion blur I imagien there is likely to be a shutter speed control on the camera for that.

AbnerK said:

Cameras have their own settings, fStop there controls Depth of Field and if we ever get motion blur I imagien there is likely to be a shutter speed control on the camera for that.

yes,  I agree, 'Exposure', 'Shutter Speed', 'F/Stop', 'ISO' are all Camera settings. I can understand they apply to all cameras but there's no reason they couldn't apply to each camera separately. I also realise that not everyone using Daz will have used a manual Camera though so I suppose that doesn't matter. I don't mind. As long as I know where they are.  I do like the new Filament for setting up scenes though. It is really helpful. 

• AbnerK said:
    AbnerK said:

yes,  I agree, 'Exposure', 'Shutter Speed', 'F/Stop', 'ISO' are all Camera settings. I can understand they apply to all cameras but there's no reason they couldn't apply to each camera separately. I also realise that not everyone using Daz will have used a manual Camera though so I suppose that doesn't matter. I don't mind. As long as I know where they are.  I do like the new Filament for setting up scenes though. It is really helpful. 

I was saying that the exposure settings do not behave like real-worl settings in that they have no effect beyond exposure - increasing ISO does not increase noise, adjusting fStop theer does not affect DoF, adjusting spped does not affect motion blur. They are purely exposure settings, while the only one that currently has its other effect (fStop) has a second setting on the camera for that.

AbnerK said:
    AbnerK said:

I was saying that the exposure settings do not behave like real-worl settings in that they have no effect beyond exposure - increasing ISO does not increase noise, adjusting fStop theer does not affect DoF, adjusting spped does not affect motion blur. They are purely exposure settings, while the only one that currently has its other effect (fStop) has a second setting on the camera for that.

I know, they're a waste of time. 

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 779
    AbnerK said:
    AbnerK said:
    AbnerK said:

The only thing that matters in the Tone Mapping properties so far as overall exposure is concerned is EV; as @AbnerK says all the other stuff is just a confusing waste of time; it confuses those of us who have used an amateur camera and it is meaningless garbage for everyone else.  With Filament the tone-mapping entry disappears from the render settings pane "because" filament doesn't do any tone mapping, yet it still responds to the EV setting, so if you use Filament to render (by setting the Render Settings/Advanced tab engine setting to "Viewport") it is impossible to adjust the exposure of the render in the render settings tab; instead you have to go to the Parameters of the Tone Mapping node, which curiously reveals all the poo that does absolutely nothing as well as the EV which you need.

I've filed a bug ("ticket") on the fact that the EV setting is not per-camera and that I can't change the EV as I move the camera in an animation.

Something has also happened to the progressive render settings; it looks like the latest release is managing, somehow, to set them back to the default, which results in my renders completing unexpectedly.  Another mystery to solve; progressive render settings are for certain scene specific.

jbowler said:
    AbnerK said:
    AbnerK said:
    AbnerK said:

The only thing that matters in the Tone Mapping properties so far as overall exposure is concerned is EV; as @AbnerK says all the other stuff is just a confusing waste of time; it confuses those of us who have used an amateur camera and it is meaningless garbage for everyone else.  With Filament the tone-mapping entry disappears from the render settings pane "because" filament doesn't do any tone mapping, yet it still responds to the EV setting, so if you use Filament to render (by setting the Render Settings/Advanced tab engine setting to "Viewport") it is impossible to adjust the exposure of the render in the render settings tab; instead you have to go to the Parameters of the Tone Mapping node, which curiously reveals all the poo that does absolutely nothing as well as the EV which you need.

I've filed a bug ("ticket") on the fact that the EV setting is not per-camera and that I can't change the EV as I move the camera in an animation.

Something has also happened to the progressive render settings; it looks like the latest release is managing, somehow, to set them back to the default, which results in my renders completing unexpectedly.  Another mystery to solve; progressive render settings are for certain scene specific.

when you say 'progressive render settings, are you talking about the 'Progress' settings? Mine always return to 2 hour limit if Daz crashes. If that's what you mean, you can change them during and after a render finishes. You'll then get the option to 'Resume'. Took me ages to find that out. If not then I must be missing something useful. :) 

edited November 2020

jbowler said:
    AbnerK said:

Ah,  'Progressive Rendering' yeah, (I call them 'Progress Settings' as that doesn't have other connotations of being Avant-garde :D) mine reset every time Daz crashes. I never start a render without checking them or adding my saved setting. As I said, you can change the time limits during a render. Some of those settings will start your render again from scratch though so don't mess with anything but the ones in the highlighted section unless you are happy to start the render again. You have to click that 'finger grip' thing in the middle, on the left to see them. Mine reset both on MacOS and Windows so I expect yours will. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 09.08.05.png
    2292 x 1412 - 1M
    Post edited by AbnerK on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

You can set up a scene file with whatever render settings you prefer, and have DS use that for every new scene you create.  You can tell DS to use that scene the Startup tab of the Preferences dialogue.  That way DS won't reset your stuff when you restart it. You may want to set this scene file to read-only once you're happy with it. 

Sevrin said:

You can set up a scene file with whatever render settings you prefer, and have DS use that for every new scene you create.  You can tell DS to use that scene the Startup tab of the Preferences dialogue.  That way DS won't reset your stuff when you restart it. You may want to set this scene file to read-only once you're happy with it. 

Wow, thanks. I didn't know that. Does that work even when Daz has crashed? I suppose it will. I just did something similar in Blender but I didn't relalise I could do that in Daz. I remember people asking about this subject a year or two ago. Thanks. I'll try that. I just started a scene rendering. 

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@jbowler

There is a setting in Edit:Preferences that allows you save render settings for a given scene. 

As for Tonemapping, while true that the exposure related settings don't act the same as real world camera, the other settings do have meaning and effect on the scene being rendered.

Not understanding the effect of a setting doesn't mean the setting doesn't do anything.

fastbike1 said:

@jbowler

There is a setting in Edit:Preferences that allows you save render settings for a given scene. 

As for Tonemapping, while true that the exposure related settings don't act the same as real world camera, the other settings do have meaning and effect on the scene being rendered.

Not understanding the effect of a setting doesn't mean the setting doesn't do anything.

Yeah, I've got one set up but, TBH, the settings aren't difficult to change manually. I do like the scene set up for when you load Daz afresh though. I've done that now and it's useful. I always start with the same settings, I check them that they haven't been lost which is the reason for this thread. They'd gone when I loaded a new scene after installing 4.14.  

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@AbnerK

I have a default scene (blank with settings) that I load on "new". I did not lose that with 4.14.0.8.

fastbike1 said:

@AbnerK

I have a default scene (blank with settings) that I load on "new". I did not lose that with 4.14.0.8.

No, that's good. I've got that set now.