Deleting/Removing DIM Packages

I need to free up some space, so how do I go about deleting all of the unecessary DIM product packages for products I already have installed? I really don't see the point in keeping them after they've been installed and I don't see an option anywhere in DIM that lets me delete them(at least after having installed the products).

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,260
    edited November 2020

I need to free up some space, so how do I go about deleting all of the unecessary DIM product packages for products I already have installed? I really don't see the point in keeping them after they've been installed and I don't see an option anywhere in DIM that lets me delete them(at least after having installed the products).

Find where they are stored on the computer, select them, click the Delete button on the keyboard. IF you remove those small files as well, DIM will want to redownload them next time you turn it on. So I would suggest leaving the management files alone. {I just tried this and DIM still wanted to redownload them all, sigh}

I would suggest keeping the folders for the actual program - in a separate folder where DIM can't "see" them. When the program updates, the old one would be written over. This is to have it available as back up in case the new edition is not agreeable for whatever reason ;-)

Disclaimer: I am not an expert at DIM. That's how I delete unwanted folders ;-)

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • You can actually select the items in DIM, right-click, and delete the packages

• I need to free up some space, so how do I go about deleting all of the unecessary DIM product packages for products I already have installed? I really don't see the point in keeping them after they've been installed and I don't see an option anywhere in DIM that lets me delete them(at least after having installed the products).

Find where they are stored on the computer, select them, click the Delete button on the keyboard. IF you remove those small files as well, DIM will want to redownload them next time you turn it on. So I would suggest leaving the management files alone. {I just tried this and DIM still wanted to redownload them all, sigh}

I would suggest keeping the folders for the actual program - in a separate folder where DIM can't "see" them. When the program updates, the old one would be written over. This is to have it available as back up in case the new edition is not agreeable for whatever reason ;-)

Disclaimer: I am not an expert at DIM. That's how I delete unwanted folders ;-)

Thanks Catherine, I suspect the problem you're having with it wanting to re-download is due to manually deleting them as opposed to doing it from within DIM itself. Some programs go bonkers when we do that, which is why I was wondering if there was a way to do it from within DIM itself.

You can actually select the items in DIM, right-click, and delete the packages

Rich, so the way I would do this after starting up DIM, I would go to the "Installed" tab, right-click on the product, and select "Delete Package", which will delete the package and NOT the installed product from DAZ, correct?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580

You can actually select the items in DIM, right-click, and delete the packages

Rich, so the way I would do this after starting up DIM, I would go to the "Installed" tab, right-click on the product, and select "Delete Package", which will delete the package and NOT the installed product from DAZ, correct?

Correct. 

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077
    edited November 2020

@magog_a4eb71ab

In the DIM Options you can choose to delete downloads after install.

Post edited by fastbike1 on