Scene Iray Vram consumption?

How do I determine how much Vram my scene is consuming when I render in Iray?

I'm trying to figure out if I should make the leap and get the 24 gigabyte RTX 3090 or if the 10 gigabyte RTX 3080 is more than enough for my purposes.

I'm currently running an 8gb RTX 2080, so if I just try to indirectly measure vram consumption by overloading a scene, that doesn't really tell me how much more of a difference 10 gigabytes would make.

Comments

• gniiialgniiial Posts: 207

Try to think about the future. Which card would last longer? If money is not the matter...

Render a scene then:
    Help -> Troubbleshooting -> Log file

and there look for:
    IRAY:RENDER ::   1.15  IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 .... Allocated 1.688 GiB of work space

IRAY:RENDER ::   1.15  IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 1 .... Allocated 1.688 GiB of work space

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014
    Diaspora said:

How do I determine how much Vram my scene is consuming when I render in Iray?

I'm trying to figure out if I should make the leap and get the 24 gigabyte RTX 3090 or if the 10 gigabyte RTX 3080 is more than enough for my purposes.

I'm currently running an 8gb RTX 2080, so if I just try to indirectly measure vram consumption by overloading a scene, that doesn't really tell me how much more of a difference 10 gigabytes would make.

Just stick to your RTX 2080 - Maybe in 6 months we have a better picture of RTX 30xx lineup.

• DiasporaDiaspora Posts: 439

Gniiial, I don't think that line actually means total vram consumption. 

I tested it and all of my scenes return the same amount of work space allocation even though they vary wildly in the amount of textures and other data sent to the video card. I don't think that's the correct variable.  

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

Open your task manager or system monitoring software of choice, and compare VRAM usage before and after hitting the render button and waiting for itterations start.

Make sure viewport is set to someting other than Iray.
    VRAM used durring render - VRAM used before hitting render = Total Iray VRAM usage.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@Diaspora

GPU-Z is a popular way to monitor your GPU. Provides a wealth of useful information.

• DiasporaDiaspora Posts: 439

Thank you both for your replies, I heard of CPU-Z but not GPU-Z and I wasn't aware that Windows had a GPU Memory meter. Cheers!