Applying Poses is taking way way way too long.

It currently takes 1-2 minutes to apply a pose to any Genesis 8 character if it happens to be wearing certain sets of clothes.

So if I load Diego 8 - Gabor, then Apply the Adventurer Knight clothes, and finally apply a pose like G8M Almighty pose #5, and it hangs for 2-3 minutes applying the pose. It takes just as long to remove the pose. I'm using Daz, 4.12.0.86 Pro (64-bit).

I believe that in this case its the bottons on his coat that are causing problems.  (Non morphing props?)  I also know this affects some Aeon Soul clothes, and some others.  The number of objects attached to the clothing affects how long it takes to apply and remove a pose.  I have literally given up on Aeon Soul's Y'Vas, and killed\restarted Daz.  (For that I had to pose the character, apply the clothes, then add the props, and finally load that set up into the final scene.  Changing my mind was not an option.)

I just upgraded to the latest DAZStudio_4.12.1.117_Win64, and have confirmed that daz still siezes up when applying poses.

Comments

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    UHF said:

It currently takes 1-2 minutes to apply a pose to any Genesis 8 character if it happens to be wearing certain sets of clothes.

I've never had to wait that long, but delays like that are usually caused by the clothes or hair — anything fitted-to the Genesis figure — having unusually high or weird Smoothing Modifier settings; everything freezes until the smoothing processing finishes. Select each clothes item and check the Parameters tab, Smoothing Modifier (if applied) is in the General sub-tab.

• UHFUHF Posts: 512

No its not smoothing.  Its props that are applied to clothing items.  You can verify this for yourself.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,449

One thing that can cause slowness is having a Smoothing Modifier on the clothing - you can tem,porarily disable that through the Parameters pane. If that isn't the issue the other likely problem is extra JCMs to adjust the clothing in response to posing - you can turn those off (click the chain icon on the  sliders) but it's more time-consuming as I don't think there is a way to batch turn them on/off.

So JCMs are applied to the props Richard?  Did you try this yourself?

I don't know what a JCM is... what menu its hidden under.. how to cause it to be visible or how to turn it off.  All I do know is that if I remove props attached to clothes, the issue goes away.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,449

JCMs are Joint Controlled Morphs, so if it's a prop it won't have any - but figures, such as clothing, fitted to the figure you are posing may well do so.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077
    edited May 2020

@UHF " I have literally given up on Aeon Soul's Y'Vas,"

Are you applying the pose the G8F or to the clothes?

I ask because I just applied 3 significantly different poses to G8F with full Y'Vas outfit and the timings were 3.2 sec, 3.8 sec, and 5.6 sec.

Post edited by fastbike1 on
    fastbike1 said:

@UHF " I have literally given up on Aeon Soul's Y'Vas,"

Are you applying the pose the G8F or to the clothes?

I ask because I just applied 3 significantly different poses to G8F with full Y'Vas outfit and the timings were 3.2 sec, 3.8 sec, and 5.6 sec.

I applied the pose to the figure.  (This isn't newb issue.)   As I said above the Y'Vas clothes work just fine.  Your pose will only hang if you apply the props, which on Y'Vas can be considerable. 8 (?) on the belt,  the total number might be close to 16.  Apply them all, then report your timing.

JCMs are Joint Controlled Morphs, so if it's a prop it won't have any - but figures, such as clothing, fitted to the figure you are posing may well do so.

I jsut removed the JCMs from Y'Vas belt with 8 props attached.  Removing JCMs did not improve performance.  Curiously, attaching props to the belt on the posed character were 'instant', begging the question of why posing is super extra amazingly slow.. but placing props on posed clothes is fast.

I switched to a new character (Young Minto) and messed around some more...

I've tried a pose with NO JCMs or shape from default pose.  I loaded half the items on the yVas Belt.  The pose was fast ish at 30 seconds (and no shape). Heaven forbid that was a complicated morph to work with. Next I added the other half of the belt items.. zerod all the JCMs on the belt, and it took just over 1 minute.

From that position... I simply applied a new pose without zeroing JCMs and that took 2 minutes and 20 seconds.

This is pretty far from a useful work flow.  I'm doing this under controlled circumstances with nothing else there, and only playing with one piece of clothing with its requisit props.  Heaven forbid I should have a vaguely complicated situation like a real render.  My mouse slips, or I do an undo.. and Daz is in the weeds.  For a fully loaded scene and more props, this becomes way way way slower.

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,071

As far as poses goes, I've noticed that poses that I save as pose presets are slow to load.  But, if I load a standard pose from the Daz Studio library, it's very fast.  The character usually has hair and clothing when the pose is saved and loaded, so I haven't tried every possible configuration to see where the problem lies. But, I'm sure there's some extra information saved to the pose preset, that's not saved in a typical DS library pose.

Dave230 said:

As far as poses goes, I've noticed that poses that I save as pose presets are slow to load.  But, if I load a standard pose from the Daz Studio library, it's very fast.  The character usually has hair and clothing when the pose is saved and loaded, so I haven't tried every possible configuration to see where the problem lies. But, I'm sure there's some extra information saved to the pose preset, that's not saved in a typical DS library pose.

These are purchased library poses that do this, so not fast at all.  Its clearly props attached to clothing, and it can be somewhat mitigated by removing JCMs, or cured by removing the offending clothing items.  This is a serious nuisance to a constructive work flow.