GPU stopping and starting during render

TojiroTojiro Posts: 64

I'm trying to render a relatively simple scene (G8F, 3 spotlights, minimal background objects) and I'm getting this weird thing where the GPU is only intermittently used.  It will use it for a bit, then drop to 0% usage, then back to 99%, and back and forth.  

Has anyone else seen this/know how to fix it?  It's not using anywhere close to the max GPU memory, so I don't know why it would stop like that.  I have an RTX 2080 (8GB memory) with updated drivers (445.87) and Daz 4.12.1.

Post edited by Tojiro on

Comments

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

If it isn't dropping to CPU then the monitoring software, GPU-Z?, is just not always catching that CUDA is running. It could even be accurate. If the CUDA pipelines are fully loaded that leaves an awful lot of the GPU idle.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,449

Is this rendering a still image or an animation?

• TojiroTojiro Posts: 64

Richard:  It's a still image.

Ken:  So you think that GPU-Z could just not be detecting that the GPU is being used?  Is there a way to monitor CUDA usage?

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805
    Tojiro said:

Richard:  It's a still image.

Ken:  So you think that GPU-Z could just not be detecting that the GPU is being used?  Is there a way to monitor CUDA usage?

Task manager can do it. Performance-> your gpu -> Copy (change selection to CUDA)