Everything is installed but adding to scene prompts scene to save and close- ??

sunnyjeisunnyjei Posts: 502

Hi all, my Daz library was getting too big for one drive so I moved it to another drive with more space. The move was not smooth so I gave up and just deleted everything and reinstalled everything on the new drive. Everything is installed (via DIM) and it shows up in Daz but when I try to add things to my scene I get a prompt asking 'would you like to save changes to the current scene before closing it?'. If I cancel that prompt and uninstall via Daz Studio and reinstall then it works no problems. If I accept the prompt it says it cold not open the file but I know the file is there because if I go into my daz library folder it's there.

I'm not sure what to do because I don't want to uninstall/reinstall everything and it is taking Daz foooooorever to download for me at the moment. Help would be greatly appreciated!

(edit to add further strangeness, if I right click and go to 'browse to file location' it immediately goes to the file and if I alt+drag the file into the scene it enters without problem. It's just double clicking on it that is giving me issues :( )

Post edited by sunnyjei on

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,442

The default action for some files is to open a new scene. If you right-click on the content you want to add, and select "Merge into Scene" you should be able to add it without complications.

• sunnyjeisunnyjei Posts: 502

Good to know that is the default for some. It's doing it for everything though- even items it doesn't normally like hair, clothes, poses. If I reinstall and then double click no problem it's just that initial double click that prompts the new scene/can't find it boxes ..

I presume that DIM is installing to the new drive and library folder. Did you set up Studio to also look in the new library (in Content Directory Manager)? 

Also note that installing in Studio (i.e., with Connect) is not the same as installing with DIM. It goes to a different place (which might not be where you think, unless you changed the default cloud folder) and overrides the DIM installation.

I set the path in the CDM as well and made sure the old location was deleted. I guess I'm really confused because it says the file can't be found when I click and choose to create a new scene but when I right click and choose browse to file it takes me right to it. frown

Hm-m, strange. I've never seen or heard of that behavior. Anyone else have any insight?

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

When the product is a "scene .duf" rather than a "scene subset .duf" it will open a new scene. It can be annoying if you've just saved a scene because it will just open the new scene without asking. If you haven't saved your scene it will ask you if you want to save it before opening a new one, and you can say no.

When I save a something to my library the png is tagged as "SCENE" or "MATERIALS" etc., but not with installed products. Items labelled "LOAD ALL" or "PRELOD ALL" are sometimes scene subsets and sometimes scene files. Confusing I know.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

If you install the metadata then items should be labeled.  "Scene" will ask to save the existing scene before closing, "Set" will merge into the existing scene.  You can right-click on an item and choose "Merge".

Thanks all-I guess I should have added I'm having issues with every item- clothes, hair, scripts, poses, everything. Normally items that allow me to double click to add them to a scene are trying to close my scene.

You did mention it, in your second post. I guess there's too much to read...

NorthOf45 said:

You did mention it, in your second post. I guess there's too much to read...

:) My post was a bit of a wall of text - was hoping more info was better than less :). I appreciate the help though. I really, really don't want to reinstall again OTL

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    sunnyjei said:

The move was not smooth so I gave up and just deleted everything and reinstalled everything on the new drive.

When you deleted everything, did you delete everything? It sounds a bit like the content database itself wasn't deleted, and it disagrees enough with the new CDM settings that you're getting Weird Stuff™ happening. You might need to do some database maintenance (not, repeat not a re-install), which I don't know anything about. Someone else might be able to help with that.

There's lots of storage locations settings tucked away in odd spots in DAZ|Studio; for your content files, for your Connect-installed content files, for your downloaded installers, for the various manifest files for your content, for your content database, for the settings file storing all those pointers... and I'm sure I've forgotten one or two. It gets confusing.

sunnyjei said:

The move was not smooth so I gave up and just deleted everything and reinstalled everything on the new drive.

When you deleted everything, did you delete everything? It sounds a bit like the content database itself wasn't deleted, and it disagrees enough with the new CDM settings that you're getting Weird Stuff™ happening. You might need to do some database maintenance (not, repeat not a re-install), which I don't know anything about. Someone else might be able to help with that.

There's lots of storage locations settings tucked away in odd spots in DAZ|Studio; for your content files, for your Connect-installed content files, for your downloaded installers, for the various manifest files for your content, for your content database, for the settings file storing all those pointers... and I'm sure I've forgotten one or two. It gets confusing.

Yeah, I think this is likely it. I don't know a lot about Daz and even when I uninstalled I know there were still files left because when I reinstalled it still had login info/etc. I don't know where to look other than Edit/Preferences and am afraid to touch the database stuff or other files tucked away under the C drive roaming folder as I don't know how badly I might mess things up just tinkering. Was hoping this was an easy 'silly newbie' fix a more experienced Daz user could point me in the right direction to fix. I just went ahead and opened a help support ticket and hopefully someone at Daz can help because at this point I would rather uninstall and reinstall EVERYTHING as needed than have to redo the hours I spent trying to add nonDaz stuff to the right categories with tags in the Smart Content folderblush

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

I don't know what's causing the issue, but if you haven't yet you should Export User Data so you won't risk losing all that categorization and tagging.

I don't know what's causing the issue, but if you haven't yet you should Export User Data so you won't risk losing all that categorization and tagging.

Didn't know I could do that- thanks! I'll keep that in mind before I make any changes :D