Render>Advanced>Hardware... my dedicated graphics card does not show up?

Render>Advanced>Hardware... my dedicated graphics card does not show up?

I had the impression that I could select my dedicated Radeon graphics card but the Render Advanced settings only offer one option box "CPU" to check. Is this correct?
Was hoping that render times will improve by using the graphics card instead of the CPU.

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

Iray can only take advantage of Nvidia GPUs, 3Delight can’t leverage the GPU at all as far as I’m aware. 

• DMaxDMax Posts: 637
    Gordig said:

Iray can only take advantage of Nvidia GPUs, 3Delight can’t leverage the GPU at all as far as I’m aware. 

Ohhhh that's a pity... I am trying to increase my render speeds and really am regretting recently having purchases my Mac without the max RAM and better graphics card.

• DMaxDMax Posts: 637
    edited May 2020

Just been told that Iray works only with Nvidia graphics cards coz Nvidia had created the Iray render engine and therefore do not want their competitors' graphics cards to use the Iray render engine with GPU rendering. There's an explanation for almost everything! haha :D

Post edited by DMax on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,903
    drmaximus said:

Just been told that Iray works only with Nvidia graphics cards coz Nvidia had created the Iray render engine and therefore do not want their competitors' graphics cards to use the Iray render engine with GPU rendering. There's an explanation for almost everything! haha :D

It’s slightly more complicated than that. Iray uses something called CUDA to speed up renders, which is a proprietary technology.