Should I upgrade my B450 motherboard for dual GPU?

Hi, all. My current setup : AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (Primary Display, not used in rendering), GTX 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, and Asrock B450 Steel Legend. My coworker offered me his GTX 1080ti for cheap recently because he doesn't use it anymore, and I'm planning to take it in hope my rendering will be faster. As the title suggested, should I upgrade my mobo, or it should be fine? From what I read is that B450 has 2 different slot PCIe x16 (1 x 3.0 PCIe x16 and 1 x 2.0 PCIe x16). Now I'm not even sure what they mean, and, more importantly are they going to affect the rendering (assuming dual 1080ti is working with this mobo).

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,454

It looks as if that motherboard supports mutliple GPUs, and for rendering the speed of the slot (which is what the gernation and multipliers are about) is relatively unimportant. I suspect a bigger question is whether you need to update your power supply.

• Thanks for the answer. I'm using Seasonic 850W Platinum. What I read in the internet suggests it should be enough, hopefully.
  • rrwardrrward Posts: 556
    Thanks for the answer. I'm using Seasonic 850W Platinum. What I read in the internet suggests it should be enough, hopefully.

850 should be just fine. I ran three 1080ti's on an 1100 and it had no problems.

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

Your motherboard and PSU should be fine, for iRay rendering.