Best rendering config for 4.12.1-

I was using 4.10-4.12 for a little bit and I had everything set up the way that worked best for my system. Whenever I rendered in Iray, my GPU took over the process and my CPU barely went above 40% when the image was coming together. Now that 4.12.1 was released and installed, my performance has changed significantly. CPU is always 100% and my GPU doesn't do anything anymore. I tried to fix things back to where they were but I had no success. I didn't do much for the old config, just selected my GPU as the renderer. Render times are really slow now, what took 5 minutes now takes 20. Can anyone help my find the new best settings for 4.12.1? There is new stuff here that I need help with. Thanks in advance.

My computer is a i7 4.5ghz(6core 12thread), RTX 2060, 32GB RAM. It's a laptop so no room for upgrade. I did build a new render server that will need the new config settings too. That one is a Threadripper 2920x with a GTX 1080ti and 64GB RAM. I plan to use this one to offset my larger scenes while I work on the smaller ones on my laptop.

Comments

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

Do you have your NVIDIA GPU driver updated to the latest version? The latest version/s of DS requires a NVIDIA driver update.

• If it's any help, i'm running 442.74 for my 2080ti and i get no issues on the latest DS version.  

442.19 (or newer) on Windows for Turing GPUs; is the minimum recomended according to the Studio release forum/

If you're running windows, expect every update to change your NVIDIA driver (sometimes to a basic windows driver), unless you turn that off in your settings

• fred9803 said:

Do you have your NVIDIA GPU driver updated to the latest version? The latest version/s of DS requires a NVIDIA driver update.

If it's any help, i'm running 442.74 for my 2080ti and i get no issues on the latest DS version.  

442.19 (or newer) on Windows for Turing GPUs; is the minimum recomended according to the Studio release forum/

If you're running windows, expect every update to change your NVIDIA driver (sometimes to a basic windows driver), unless you turn that off in your settings

... I can't believe that it was the driver the whole time. Thanks guys. Not gonna lie though, a render that took 20 minutes last time only took 2 this time. This made a HUGE difference. I downloaded 445.87 notebook version in case you guys wanted to know. Are there any other tricks I can apply, especially for my Threadripper build? It's mostly just gonna be dormant until I get a network set up for the office. I'm going to be doing huge scenes with lots of objects and this will be the machine I send my animations to work on in the backround.

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

TBH a 1080ti with 11 Gb of VRAM is going to be faster and handle bigger animations than the 2060 without much effort on your part. Butr animations take lots of time even on really good hardware. You might get some performance increease by letting the CPU render as well. 24 threads is a lot of compute for a CPU and even as slow as it will be at rendering it could make a noticeable difference with animation.