Render Server

I have a feeling I know the answer to this question, but I am going to give it a shot...

If I have a decent (gamer-level) secondary computer on my local network... Is it a simple process to use that computer as a DS render server?

Is it as simple as ruinning DS on the secondary computer, setting it to listen mode, then sending the project files across the network? (I am familar with how to access a render server when I am sending assets to it, just not familar with what is involved in receiving those files.)

This is purely for my personal use. The secondary computer wouldn't be available for users outside of the local network.

Comments

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

If this is iray to do it remotely requires buying iRays erver which is not cheap.

However since you have physical access to the machine there is a way.

Setup DS on the render box. Setup all your assets so they're in the same path on this box. You could setup a network share so you only have one installation but the scene file has the path to all the assets embedded.

Now you just create scenes on your main machine and copy them over or put them into a shared folder and then you go to the render box and start the render(s). 

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited May 2020

That makes sense, and I did find this link by searching through Google: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/132951/tutorial-iray-server-render-farm-batch-rendering-for-daz-studio/p1

The server price might be worth it though, for the ease factor and the potential of using the 'render server' as an archive of the complete projects. Also having the queue going would streamline things considerably.

Granted $300 a year is a bitter pill to swallow, but it might be cheaper than the years of therapy I will need if I continue on my current path.

Post edited by Jason Galterio on