Need Advice on Reflections

Hi, thanks for checking in.  I've got a 3D object, a robotic face, that I'm trying to make look passably metallic.  Here's what it looks like now:

No matter what I've tried, I can't get the effect I want.  The surfaces turn out looking like pixellated garbage, or stone, or plastic.  Can anybody offer any pointers?

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,205

First of all is this Iray or 3Dlight?

My suggestion is to start of with a metal shader, and then adjust that.

Or if you want to do it from scratch you need (in Iray) to set the metal slider to 1.

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798

Also, if you've set up the surface to be a shiny metal reflective one, what it looks like is in part dependent on what there is to reflect. So if you're testing it in an otherwise completely empty scene, it's likely to look bad.

• I guess I probably should have mentioned that I'm using Poser 11.

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

Wrong site for Poser. You want renderosity.

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798

Poser is fine here. Daz sell assets for use in 3D software, including Poser. But yeah, you should have mentioned it.

Possibly consider moving this thread to the Poser forum at https://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/poser-discussion , as we're mainly Studio people here.

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556

I guess I probably should have mentioned that I'm using Poser 11.

Firefly is not going to give you a beleivable metal look. You'll want to use the Superfly renderer for that. And you'll need a good set of Superfly shaders.