Copy all Joint Editor values for node from one figure to another

Copy all Joint Editor values for node from one figure to another

After making a morph for a G3F figure, the rigging for the hands and fingers got messed up. To fix it, I need to copy the pivot points and end points from the un-morphed copy of the figure to the morphed copy of the figure.

This is about 120 copy and paste operations!

Is there a way to bulk copy and paste joint editor values for a given node and it’s children nodes?

Comments

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

Actually I just noticed that the morph I made ruined much of the rigging for this figure.

I'm using Blender 2.79 to make my morph.

Can someone review with me the exact import/export settings I need to use when transferring a figure between Daz Studio and Blender such that my rigging will survive in tact when making a morph?

edited May 2020

Here’s my best guess at the cause of this rigging problem:

The figure I export to Blender already has lots of morphs. The morph I want to make is supposed to be a final adjustment to the figure, added to the other morphs already on the figure.

Since the morph I import back from Blender includes the effect of all the morphs, applying it to the figure produces a doubling of all the other morphs, as well as the final adjustment morph. This can supposedly be fixed by setting the “Reverse Deformations” to “yes”. But it only partially worked in this case. There was still a distortion of a mysterious nature.

So, to work around this, I decided not to use the “Reverse Deformations” trick, but instead to remove every morph from my figure (such that it looks just like plain old G3F), and then apply the morph I made in Blender to that zero-morphed figure. This worked. When I applied my morph this way, it looked exactly as I wanted.

But since my morph was applied to a figure that I made to look like generic G3F, the rigging was still set as generic G3F. So:

Mesh = all desired morphs

Rigging = Generic G3F

Solution?

Can the “Reverse Deformations” feature be fixed, such that it faithfully imports the morph?

or...

Can the rigging for an entire figure be copied from my starting figure to my morph-target figure, as per my original question?

Post edited by lukon100 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,454

Make sure that any translations, probably on the hip, or scaling are zeroed before exporting the model - Reverse Deformations won't handle those.

Thanks for your reply, Richard.

Unfortunately, the translations and scaling are an essential part of the figure shape I want, and must be exported to Blender. So I guess I'm just screwed here. I cannot do the final morph I want.

They shouldn't ne needed for working on the morph, though - they need to be disabled for morph creation, not for use once created.

But they are totally needed for working on the morph. The mesh is scaled and translated to produce the contour I want. The final adjustment morph I'm trying to make depends on the presence of that contour. Without that contour, I could be making hit-or-miss guesses about the what the results will look like when I'm sclupting the morph. That could take weeks of trial and error.

lukon100 said:

But they are totally needed for working on the morph. The mesh is scaled and translated to produce the contour I want. The final adjustment morph I'm trying to make depends on the presence of that contour. Without that contour, I could be making hit-or-miss guesses about the what the results will look like when I'm sclupting the morph. That could take weeks of trial and error.

The other option is to zero out everything but the scaling and translation, export as OBJ, load as a new morph, and adjust rigging to shape so that it bends properly

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898

This may solve your rigging issue and its very simple to use

https://www.daz3d.com/shape-rigger-plus

lukon100 said:

The other option is to zero out everything but the scaling and translation, export as OBJ, load as a new morph, and adjust rigging to shape so that it bends properly

Thanks, Richard. This does seem like a plausible solution. I may try it in a few days.

Mattymanx said:

This may solve your rigging issue and its very simple to use

https://www.daz3d.com/shape-rigger-plus

Thanks, Mattymanx. If free and easy alternatives fail me, I may indeed procure that product and try it.