Will using scene optimizer mean I don't need to cut off the rest of the house?

I am buying a house model, and will be using the rooms for a 2d webcomic. The characters are fully 2d and drawn, so no human 3d models will be used. The rooms will contain furniture and other objects.

Will scene optimizer just allow me to render one room at a time efficiently? Or will I need to delete other parts of the house to efficiently render a room? Alternatively, should I "hide" parts of the house instead to spead up rendering time?

Comments

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Scene optimizer will allow you to shrink down the physical size of the texture images so they take less room in RAM. But at the trade-off of the image quality going down the more you shrink them.

I would look at the iray interior camera over on share-cg (it's free) it uses strategically placed iray planes to remove everything off-camera out of the scene so it's not loaded into ram. It also lets the outside light in so it's easier to light your interior scenes (making render times much shorter)

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

scene optimizer will let you reduce texture size to let you render faster. Many assets include very large textures 4k or 8k. Shrinking those to 1k or 2k will have neglible or no impact on props not right up on the camera.

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

I'm not so sure that reducing tecture size will let you render faster, apart from the load time. Reducing the textures will allow you to fit more into a scene without it dropping to CPU at render time, but I don't think it would have much affect on how long a render takes.

• mavantemavante Posts: 734

I would look at the iray interior camera over on share-cg (it's free) it uses strategically placed iray planes to remove everything off-camera out of the scene so it's not loaded into ram. It also lets the outside light in so it's easier to light your interior scenes (making render times much shorter)

Thanks for that tip. If the Iray Interior Camera was on share-cg, I believe it's now on Deviant Art.
  • kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805
    fred9803 said:

I'm not so sure that reducing tecture size will let you render faster, apart from the load time. Reducing the textures will allow you to fit more into a scene without it dropping to CPU at render time, but I don't think it would have much affect on how long a render takes.

Try it. Create a scene, save it, render it. Record the time it takes to reach 95%. Then close DS, reopen, load the scene, run Scene Optimizer and reduce textures sizes in half. Render and compare the times.

Even if the scene fit on the GPU in both circumstances you will get better results in the second run. I think the reason is fewer textures fall into the compression range and that saves processing time during the render.

• JoydivJoydiv Posts: 31

Thanks for the tip, kaotkbliss!

This helps, but my scene is still plenty big. Does anyone know if hiding parts of a scene will render it faster than deleting them? I will test it out, but it'd be nice to know if this makes a huge difference before going a deleting spree.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

Rather than Scene Optimizer (or maybe in addition to it), you may want to look at Camera View Optimizer

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798
    Joydiv said:

Does anyone know if hiding parts of a scene will render it faster than deleting them? 

I wouldn't expect there to be a lot of difference between the two. Either way, the renderer has less stuff to have to work on when it's doing it's thing.

But if you're doing a comic where you're shooting the same location from multiple angles, it's gonna be a lot more convenient to set it all up once and then hide the bits you don't need for each particular shot.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

One thing I've started doing as I've got a huge backdrop for my comic I'm putting together, I've been re-texturing everything reusing the same shaders over all objects.

Of course, this means that many times I have to go into geometry editor and re-assign new texture areas to things so I can have different shaders where it was once a single texture.

In the end I believe I will get much better results though since I will have 10 building using 5 textures total instead of 10 buildings using 20 textures total.