How can I add material zones to a geometry shell?

I'm trying to add some fishnet tights to a figure using a fishnet shader. Since the idea is for them to go above the upper thigh, the default material zones on a geometry shell are not my friend.  I thought I'd try making new material zones with the geometry editor, but the cursor just doesn't activate on the shell.  Am I missing a step here, or am I taking the wrong approach entirely?

Comments

• Marmalade BoyMarmalade Boy Posts: 103

Hi abe,

Parmy Baddhan has an excellent tutorial on Geometry Shell.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv9a6LocIHE it's 31:55 mins long and packed full of info.

• edited May 2020

Yes, I watched it and unfortunately it did not answer my question.

What I'm trying to do is to achieve continuity over the leg and hip.  If you look here, you can see how the leg and torso surfaces don't line up.  I was hoping to create a new material zone that would do what I need.

Post edited by abelundercity_7fb40cbc22 on
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,442

The shell initially takes the same UV as the parent shape. You can change the UV for another, but you would need one that has a continuous material zone that includes the legs and torso, and all the standard UVs separate the legs from the torso. Otherwise, you will have to tailor the materials to line up perfectly at the seams.

There is at least one shader set that can give you continuous coverage. Oso Shader Pack 1 for Iray has an Easy Tiling UV set for Genesis 8 Male and Female. The thing is, it's only a front and back projection, so the sides are distorted as the tiled maps wrap around.

You'll need a bodysuit of some kind (like No Suit for Genesis 8 Females) and texture it, or get a proper set of stockings, like Morphing Pantyhose for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s).

• Marmalade BoyMarmalade Boy Posts: 103

Yes, I watched it and unfortunately it did not answer my question.

What I'm trying to do is to achieve continuity over the leg and hip.  If you look here, you can see how the leg and torso surfaces don't line up.  I was hoping to create a new material zone that would do what I need.

Have you had any experience with the Texture Atlas? You could create a combined (instead of layered) UV set and use that on your Geometry Shell.