[Resolved] Shaders>Iray>Emissive not available in my installation?

DMaxDMax Posts: 637

I selected a wall and went to Surfaces>Presets>Shaders but there was no Iray folder nor Emissive. Did a search for "Emissive" and nothing showed up either.
Tried on other items and no Iray>Emissive was available to any of them either.

Is there an error with my installation or am I supposed to "turn on" or purchase some function in order to utilise Emissive?
I am hesitant to reinstall Studio as my previous installation had major problems with DBconnect and I am trying not to tempt fate by doing a reinstall.

Thank you!

Post edited by DMax on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

Emissive settings are a core function of the Iray Uber shader, so you shouldn’t need to apply a shader to use them. Go to the parameters tab of your surfaces pane and scroll down, probably to the very bottom, of the parameters. You should see “emissive color”, or something to that effect. Change the color from pure black and the emissive parameters will appear. As far as using emissive presets, there should be one in Smart Content (if you use it) under Default Content. I don’t use Content Library, so I’m not sure how you’d find it there, and I’m not at a computer right now to look it up. 

• DMaxDMax Posts: 637
    Gordig said:

Emissive settings are a core function of the Iray Uber shader, so you shouldn’t need to apply a shader to use them. Go to the parameters tab of your surfaces pane and scroll down, probably to the very bottom, of the parameters. You should see “emissive color”, or something to that effect. Change the color from pure black and the emissive parameters will appear. As far as using emissive presets, there should be one in Smart Content (if you use it) under Default Content. I don’t use Content Library, so I’m not sure how you’d find it there, and I’m not at a computer right now to look it up. 

Thank you kind sir! I did successfully locate "emissive color" under parameters... the function seems a bit different but maybe because I was entirely following a youtube guide that was made a year ago and the explanation was different. I will have to go toy around much more... Daz studio is pretty amazing!

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Did you install all the free extras? One of them is a set of resources which includes the Iray shader settings you were looking for.

Did you install all the free extras? One of them is a set of resources which includes the Iray shader settings you were looking for.

I did install everything... the only thing I skipped and which is leftover "ready to download" is the Valentina CMS thing which I wasn't sure I should install since there is a new CMS I believe. Under "Ready to Install" there is a small list of objects that failed to install, with pop ups asking for "Name, Version, Bit, Path, Directory"... nothing related to Iray shaders though.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I have a lot of old pre-iray stuff and so doesn't have an emmisive option. What I do in that case is go to the Content Library tab and search Iray

I think right click on the iray base shader and select show in mapped folder, that shows all iray shaders that came with the install of Daz and it's core items. I can then apply the iray shader I want to the non-iray ready item.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

the only thing I skipped and which is leftover "ready to download" is the Valentina CMS thing which I wasn't sure I should install since there is a new CMS I believe.

That's OK, that's a converter that takes a Valentina database (the old format) and changes it to PostgreSQL (the new format). It's a do-it-once-only thing, and if you first started using DAZ|Studio after Valentina was dropped, you can ignore it.

Under "Ready to Install" there is a small list of objects that failed to install, with pop ups asking for "Name, Version, Bit, Path, Directory"... nothing related to Iray shaders though.

The installer name doesn't mention Iray. Hold on, I'll check... it's "Default Resources for DAZ Studio 4.9+" — the other must-haves have "Starter Essentials" in their names, all the others are extra free content, plugins, and import/export bridges to Photoshop and ZBrush.

edited May 2020
    The installer name doesn't mention Iray. Hold on, I'll check... it's "Default Resources for DAZ Studio 4.9+" — the other must-haves have "Starter Essentials" in their names, all the others are extra free content, plugins, and import/export bridges to Photoshop and ZBrush.

Yes I do have all these things installed... perhaps I should uninstall and reinstall the Default Resources? Also, my Photoshop 3D Bridge failed to install so is on the "Ready to Install" list.

Post edited by DMax on

I have a lot of old pre-iray stuff and so doesn't have an emmisive option. What I do in that case is go to the Content Library tab and search Iray

I think right click on the iray base shader and select show in mapped folder, that shows all iray shaders that came with the install of Daz and it's core items. I can then apply the iray shader I want to the non-iray ready item.

Thank you kind sir! I will give this tip a shot today!

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@kaotkbliss "What I do in that case is go to the Content Library tab and search Iray"

You should be able to find it in the Content Library Tab directly. The path should be: (whatever you name your content library) / Shader Presets / DAZ Uber

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

If CMS is working you should be able to get to the Iray shaders from the Preset tab in the Surfaces pane.

Strange thing... so I went ahead to uninstall, delete, redownload and reinstall the "Default Resources" and now there is one new "Emissives" option in Preset>Iray... a pale yellow crystal-ball looking Shader item.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    fastbike1 said:

@kaotkbliss "What I do in that case is go to the Content Library tab and search Iray"

You should be able to find it in the Content Library Tab directly. The path should be: (whatever you name your content library) / Shader Presets / DAZ Uber

With nearly 6500 products installed, I have a hard time finding anything in my runtime navigating the folders so I only use the search and the product letters LOL.