Data Folder

Morning all.  I want to do a clean install of DAZ Studio.  If I delete the Data  Folder, will my scene files still load if I reinstall the required products?

Also, when you uninstall from DIM, does that delete the associated files in the Data Folder?

Thanks.

Comments

• The short answer to both questions, is maybe.

For the DIM uninstall, it will delete the associated data files, as long as they were installed with DIM.

Anything not installed with DIM, e.g. manual install or Daz connect or custom installer, won't be deleted.

For just deleting out the Data folder and scenes still loading, that's a bit more complicated.

Depending on the assets used in a scene, you may have assets that created an "Auto-adapted" version in the initial load.

In some cases deleting out that folder will result in older scenes producing "cannot find xyz file" errors.

There are also times when some data files may be modified by scripts, plugins and other assets.

If these modified versions are deleted, it may result in errors with the scene loads.

My general recommendation for doing a clean install is to create a backup of your asset install first.

That is, the data folder, user facing folders and the runtime folder.

In the event that a product is NLA(no longer available) for download, or you don't have on site backups of your assets, you'll be able to recover them.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

Content related folders are not part of the Daz Studio software installation.

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 561

That is good news.  I did about 85% install from DIM and the others from zip file.  I can handle the content folders as I organize them already.

Thanks!!

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@Muon Quark

Remeber that the Content Manager paths in Studio need to match the Content Installatiom path in DIM. The two applications do communicate.

If you manualy change diretories you will need to change the paths in both applications.

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 561

Ahhh, I had forgotten about that.  Thanks for the reminder!