[Solved] Rendering in iRAY Doesn't Work After Updating Daz Studio

katywhitekatywhite Posts: 434

So I was able to render in iRAY before I updated Daz Studio.

Now when I hit render it goes really fast but renders a blank image. I saw on another solved post something about updating drivers (would have posted this there but they've marked as solved - I'm still having problems)...if I knew this was necessary I wouldn't have updated Daz. Because the update didn't make any difference to me as far as I can tell except for stopping me from rendering in iRAY (3Delight still works). I would appreciate if a driver update or any update/minimum hardware, etc. is required that it would notify you with a warning dialog before allowing you to download and install an update so you are at least aware of the situation.

I have no idea what the current nVidia driver is or which one to update? I have quite a few (6) with that name in it. And I don't know how to update it, when I check for updates it doesn't show there are any available.

And when I look online they strongly recommned NOT updating nvidia driver unless you REALLY need to because your hardware could be too old to keep up. Again I have no idea how to check this.

I'm at a loss at what to do. I know certain materials are designed for iRay and not 3delight and daz seems to be moving away from 3delight so I'd like to have this working if possible (though as a plus 3delight actually seems to render a lot faster than iRay for me). Any help on how to best fix this would be appreciated. And if someone can confirm if it is actually the driver causing this problem or not would also be helpful.

Post edited by katywhite on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,458

What is your nVidia GPU? You can check the current driver version (###.##) by right-click on the desktop>nVidia Control Panel.

• katywhitekatywhite Posts: 434

It says that my version is 364.72.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,458

Assuming your GPU is still supported you need at least 441.22, or 442.19 for Turing chips (16x0,20x0 cards).

• JET2003JET2003 Posts: 55

I've also solved the same problem by updating GPU driver. 

Thank you very much for the info.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

It's a good practice to check the Relase notes before installing an updated Studio. An Iray engine update is often included and may require a different minimum version of the driver.

Thanks for your help so far but I'm not very tech savvy so I need a bit more help...

1) How do I check if my GPU is still supported?

2) What is a turing chip?

3) How do I update the driver (online it says where you update your windows updates but nothing is appearing there for me)?

4) Is there any risk to me updating the driver?

5) How do I check release notes? The update just appeared in install manager so I just installed it. I didn't realize there was anything I had to check for compatibility.

6) If I don't do anything, will it be eventually fixed for older drivers or would this be a permanent problem?

Thanks =)

edited May 2020

@katywhite "6) If I don't do anything, will it be eventually fixed for older drivers or would this be a permanent problem?"

No. The minimum driver is a hard requirement for the specific version of the Iray engine.

A quick google search will give you all the information you need about Nvidia GPU chipsets.

!!! Don't use the Windows Nviia driver updates. They are not provided by Nvidia.!!!

Go to  https://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,656

I had the same issue. Updating the NVIDIA driver fixed the problem for me.

If you have a NVIDIA graphics card, you can update it by running the GeForce Experience application, located under Windows Start Menu / NVIDIA.  Or just type "GeForce" on the Windows search bar.

After running the application, Click "check for updates" on the Drivers tab.

• Aldi07Aldi07 Posts: 20

Hey there, I do have the same Problem. I use two Nvida GTX 1070's on the latest drivers 442.92 with a Ryzen 5 and enough RAM. Rendering in Version 4.11 was really fun but now. I create the Scene, set my render Settings hit Render and nothing. Just a blank Image most of the time. I already mailed the support, so I hope they can help.

A minor help was to go to the advance settings and mark Allow CPU Fallback and Allow GPU detection. At least it works 2 out of 3 Times...

I want Version 4.11 back :(

I think you all will be banging your head at how technically hindered I seem to be but after going around and around on Google as suggested, still confused - if anything more than ever.

All the options I found to update my drivers easily and with the right version didn't work. Either the option wasn't there or I have to install some software. To install the software I have to install other software - seems to be a common trend that to install one thing I have to install something else which requires something else.... And when installing a new driver, it was recommended to back up my settings but the instructions given are only for XP or windows 7. My computer claims to have Geforce in some parts when I look for it but trying to actually open it, it wants to install. Rather not install Geforce if not needed because it'll just be something else I have to worry about, especially since many people complaining it got corrupted on their machine and wasn't usable.

Everywhere there are big warnings about don't install things that you don't need, etc, etc. performance issues etc. which make me a bit nervous to try something I don't understand. Especially last time that happened my rendering function broke. I understand you all won't magically know how to help me in particular since you can't check my machine but I would wish this was a little easier for me to wrap my mind around. I've spent a lot of time on trying to fix this and have come up dry.

And I don't know where I can find 'release notes' to prevent me stumbling into this issue in the future.

• fredericspitzfredericspitz Posts: 15
    edited May 2020

So, I don't want to make a new post about this but I found one simple explanation that might interest others (hopefully they'll look for CPU fallback and black screen and find this). This is another explanation for those who know they are not using all their cards' memory and can't figure it out.

I have a 2070 (8G), and I bought a 2060KO (6G) to do dual rendering. I started experiencing CPU fallback and black image renders and it drove me crazy.

The simple solution was shady oveclocking... I used MSI Afterburner (culprit) and I'm not sure if it's the double cards or the fact that when I installed the new card I had to redo the overclocking and cranked up the settings too much, but as soon as I cleared my overclock settings it started rendring normally. I think it has to do with the frequency not being stable and it either falls back to the CPU if the option is enabled, or renders a black image if it's not.

Hope it helps. On another matter that 2060KO renders actually faster than my 2070... Apparently they used discarded 2080 chips (I checked mine it's a TU-104) and they still act as such for 3d rendering.

Improvement with two cards if someone is interested on a photoreal 1080p render with 500 iterations + noise reduction:
    2070 solo: 4min40sec
    2070 + 2060KO: 2min43sec

Post edited by fredericspitz on
    edited May 2020

@fredericspitz "oveclocking"

As fast as these cards are, there is no need to overclock. The Nvidia iray driver will clock the card a a high(er) frequency until temperatures hit the thermal limit, then reduce the clock until tempertures are reduced.

@katywhite "still confused "

Don't worry. Go to the Nvidia link I posted above. Don't "check updates" by going to Windows Update. If you wnaat, PM me here.

1. Select your graphics card. I presume it is one of the Geforce cards.

2. Select your Operatign system. From your message, I presume it is Wondows 10. 64 bit.

3. In Driver Type, select Game Ready Drivers.

4. Select your language.

5. Click Search.

6. MAke sure the driver version is at least 442.19. 7. Download the driver.

7. Install the driver. Uncheck Geforce Experience. You don't need it.

Post edited by fastbike1 on

Thank you! @fastbike1

I have gotten the driver installed and IRAY seems to be working again. :,)