GPU Not Utilized in Render

NVIDIA GTX 1080Ti 11GB (Studio Driver 430.86). Newest Daz Release (updated today). Disabled CPU Fallback. I have GPU-Z up. It shows plenty of GPU activity when I use Aux Viewport set to Iray, but when I start a full render it just won't work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2020-05-02 12:02:10.549 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend progr: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1080 Ti): Processing scene...
2020-05-02 12:02:10.760 Iray [VERBOSE] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.4   IRAY   rend stat : Geometry memory consumption: 944.424 MiB (device 0), 0.000 B (host)
2020-05-02 12:02:10.760 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.4   IRAY   rend info : Initializing OptiX Prime for CUDA device 0
2020-05-02 12:02:10.902 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.4   IRAY   rend error: OptiX Prime error (Device rtpModelUpdate BL): Memory allocation failed (Function "_rtpModelUpdate" caught exception: Encountered a CUDA error: cudaMalloc(&ptr, size) returned (2): out of memory)
2020-05-02 12:02:10.908 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1080 Ti): Scene setup failed
2020-05-02 12:02:10.908 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1080 Ti): Device failed while rendering
2020-05-02 12:02:10.908 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend warn : All available GPUs failed.
2020-05-02 12:02:10.914 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend error: Fallback to CPU not allowed.
2020-05-02 12:02:10.914 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend error: All workers failed: aborting render
2020-05-02 12:02:10.914 Iray Render error: Internal rendering error.

Post edited by blackfyresrevenge on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,454

The preview does not support all the features of the full render - it's quite possible to run out of memory for rendering even though the preview works.

• Probably just running out of vram.

In gpu-z, under the Sensors tab, enable the Memory used>Show in GPU-Z Window title, to keep track of vram utilization.

In gpu-z, under the Sensors tab, enable the Memory used>Show in GPU-Z Window title, to keep track of vram utilization.

Yep. Tried two renders. One really zoomed out and it went fine. Second I zoom in really close on the face it kicks back to CPU due to VRAM. Dang. I can't afford a quadro or anything so I guess I have to deal with CPU. Thanks :)

• The preview does not support all the features of the full render - it's quite possible to run out of memory for rendering even though the preview works.

Yep that's the problem. Thank you :)

Yep. Tried two renders. One really zoomed out and it went fine. Second I zoom in really close on the face it kicks back to CPU due to VRAM. Dang. I can't afford a quadro or anything so I guess I have to deal with CPU. Thanks :)

Tesla m40, 24GB vram and around $350(US) on ebay. couple generations back, but still an option.

But in the mean time.....

If you only have a single GPU in system...

1. Don't use the iray preview mode. If you do, save, close out DS and reopen, reloading the scene then render. IRay has a bit of an issue with releasing vram.

2. Reduce the number/size/complexity of textures and materials(two seperate but connected things).

3. Reduce the resolution of characters, that is Sub-d level.

4. Remove any unnecessary assets.

5. Setup a render for reassembly in Photoshop.

6. close out any programs other than DS.

7. shave head to avoid ripping hair out.

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

Probably just running out of vram.

That shouldn't affect your VRAM usage. the whole scene gets loaded no matter what is visible from the camera.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@blackfyresrevenge "so I guess I have to deal with CPU. Thanks :)"

An obvious alternative is to construct your scenes sothat they fit in memory. There are a number of ways to accomplish this.

Regardless of the hobby, one has to use the tools available.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

There's a newer Studio Driver.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611

I'm having this exact issue, also with a 1080TI. I suspect it's less about the size of the scene and more about problems with GTX cards and Daz's version of Iray itself. I've been able to render out much larger scenes than the one I'm trying today on the GPU without issue. But with 4.12, it keeps getting harder and harder to use the GPU...and the only consistent answer I've been given is that "Daz has been tailored to want to use more RTX infrastructure...so basically get a RTX card." Which obviously isn't and shouldn't be an answer for someone using a card that is only a year or so old. 

And I love that there's no real way IN DAZ to tell how big your scene actually is. 

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

UPDATE YOUR DRIVER

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,592
    edited May 2020

I'm having this exact issue, also with a 1080TI. I suspect it's less about the size of the scene and more about problems with GTX cards and Daz's version of Iray itself. I've been able to render out much larger scenes than the one I'm trying today on the GPU without issue. But with 4.12, it keeps getting harder and harder to use the GPU...and the only consistent answer I've been given is that "Daz has been tailored to want to use more RTX infrastructure...so basically get a RTX card." Which obviously isn't and shouldn't be an answer for someone using a card that is only a year or so old. 

And I love that there's no real way IN DAZ to tell how big your scene actually is. 

This may be in part because Iray will not use the same amount of VRAM for the same scene loaded/rendered on 2 different systems. It will basically use what VRAM it can if available in order to speed rendering. But if it hits the ceiling, it will often back the truck up and retry using less memory at the expense of speed or quality.

- Greg

Post edited by algovincian on