Possible to merge features from different characters? Nose from A, eyes from B ?

Hi all, trying to slice and dice to make a different character within Daz Studio. Is it possible to take the nose shape from one character and merge it with the eye shape of another? The face/head sliders seem to change everything instead of the specific feature. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,393

If the creator only provided a "head" morph then no, at least not directly. 
    You'd need to split the head morph for that, with a tool like this one: https://www.daz3d.com/shape-splitter

• edited April 2020
    sunnyjei said:

Hi all, trying to slice and dice to make a different character within Daz Studio. Is it possible to take the nose shape from one character and merge it with the eye shape of another? The face/head sliders seem to change everything instead of the specific feature. Help would be greatly appreciated!

You could try using Blender to create a custom morph that has all the features you want on one model.  IIRC one of the key things when making morphs is that the vertex count of the model cannot change.  So you cant do stuff like merge verts, delete verts or remove doubles cause those would change the vert counts.

So take the main character in Daz that has the most features that you like and send it to blender.  Then the minor parts that you want to use gets sent over to blender too.  The character that has the nose you want? send it to blender.  The character that has the eye shape you want? send that to blender.  So for example you have your main character in blender, the nose character and the eye character for a total of 3 characters.  The main character is the one that will get reimported back to Daz once you're all done.  If all the characters are the same generation they will have the same vertex count, just different vertex locations.  So then its just a matter of overlaying the nose character on top of the main character.  Hiding or deleting the parts of the nose character you aren't going to copy.  Then you figure out the XYZ coordinates for each vert on the nose character.  Find the same vert on the main character and change its XYZ coordinates to the same.  Once you've repeated this for all the verts in the nose then your main character will eventually have the same nose as the nose character.  You delete the entire nose character since you are done copying it, keep the main character and repeat the process for the eye character.  Once you've copied all the XYZ coords of the eye verts onto the main models eye verts then you can delete the eye character too.  So you are now left with the main character which has a nose shape and eye shape that you want.  Find a tutorial that shows how to get that modified mesh into Daz as a morph slider and you are set.  I made a custom morph with a piece of clothing and i used one of Sickleyields tutorials.  But it should be possible with a figure too.

Post edited by unused account - glossedsfm on
  • sunnyjeisunnyjei Posts: 502

Thank you both for taking time to answer. I'll look into both and see what I'm able to come up with. Thanks again! :)

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300
    sunnyjei said:

You could try using Blender to create a custom morph that has all the features you want on one model.  IIRC one of the key things when making morphs is that the vertex count of the model cannot change.  So you cant do stuff like merge verts, delete verts or remove doubles cause those would change the vert counts.

So take the main character in Daz that has the most features that you like and send it to blender.  Then the minor parts that you want to use gets sent over to blender too.  The character that has the nose you want? send it to blender.  The character that has the eye shape you want? send that to blender.  So for example you have your main character in blender, the nose character and the eye character for a total of 3 characters.  The main character is the one that will get reimported back to Daz once you're all done.  If all the characters are the same generation they will have the same vertex count, just different vertex locations.  So then its just a matter of overlaying the nose character on top of the main character.  Hiding or deleting the parts of the nose character you aren't going to copy.  Then you figure out the XYZ coordinates for each vert on the nose character.  Find the same vert on the main character and change its XYZ coordinates to the same.  Once you've repeated this for all the verts in the nose then your main character will eventually have the same nose as the nose character.  You delete the entire nose character since you are done copying it, keep the main character and repeat the process for the eye character.  Once you've copied all the XYZ coords of the eye verts onto the main models eye verts then you can delete the eye character too.  So you are now left with the main character which has a nose shape and eye shape that you want.  Find a tutorial that shows how to get that modified mesh into Daz as a morph slider and you are set.  I made a custom morph with a piece of clothing and i used one of Sickleyields tutorials.  But it should be possible with a figure too.

Wow, that's going to take some time. Reminds me of when morphing early Poser and DAZ figures years ago, the individual body part joints/seams would no longer line up correctly, so the verts had to be re-aligned one by one! Needs a lot of patience.

• edited April 2020

Wow, that's going to take some time. Reminds me of when morphing early Poser and DAZ figures years ago, the individual body part joints/seams would no longer line up correctly, so the verts had to be re-aligned one by one! Needs a lot of patience.

A faster way to do it is to just eyeball the vert coordinates instead of looking at the XYZ of one vert and copying it into the XYZ of its matching vert on the other model.  Just pull up two views like say the front and top.  When you click a vert just translate it until its sitting close to its matching vert on the model you are copying.  Translating it in one view will line up two axis, translate it in the other view to line up the third axis. Like if you are looking at the front of the model in a view then you are moving a vert along the X and Z axis left-right and up-down on the model.  When you look at the same vert on the top view just move it along the Y axis.

If the figure you are copying doesnt have an asymetrical feature you can even select its mirror vert and do it in roughly half the time.  Like looking at the front of a face the centerline of a nose you are only selecting one vert correct? but then you have to move the one to the left of centerline and to the right of centerline.  So do the center vert and move it along xyz until its sitting where you need it.  Then select the vert to the left and right of it.  In Blender to get those 2 verts to move the same distance away or closer to center you scale them (not translate) them along the axis that you want them to move closer together or farther away from.  It sounds complicated but it isnt, and like i said if you are copying a face that is symetrical then you are cutting down roughly half the time.

EDIT: i actually did this one time for a video game mesh model's entire head and it only took a few hours.  I used the method i talked about in this post and not my other post so it was really fast.

Post edited by unused account - glossedsfm on

A faster way to do it is to just eyeball the vert coordinates instead of looking at the XYZ of one vert and copying it into the XYZ of its matching vert on the other model.  Just pull up two views like say the front and top.  When you click a vert just translate it until its sitting close to its matching vert on the model you are copying.  Translating it in one view will line up two axis, translate it in the other view to line up the third axis. Like if you are looking at the front of the model in a view then you are moving a vert along the X and Z axis left-right and up-down on the model.  When you look at the same vert on the top view just move it along the Y axis.

If the figure you are copying doesnt have an asymetrical feature you can even select its mirror vert and do it in roughly half the time.  Like looking at the front of a face the centerline of a nose you are only selecting one vert correct? but then you have to move the one to the left of centerline and to the right of centerline.  So do the center vert and move it along xyz until its sitting where you need it.  Then select the vert to the left and right of it.  In Blender to get those 2 verts to move the same distance away or closer to center you scale them (not translate) them along the axis that you want them to move closer together or farther away from.  It sounds complicated but it isnt, and like i said if you are copying a face that is symetrical then you are cutting down roughly half the time.

EDIT: i actually did this one time for a video game mesh model's entire head and it only took a few hours.  I used the method i talked about in this post and not my other post so it was really fast.

I definitely want to get into Blender at some point so I'll keep this in mind. I think the splitter script in Daz might be easier for me to wrap my head around quickly but the Blender way seems like it might be cool for creating new/unique characters. Thanks again!

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903
    edited April 2020

I used Shape Splitter to make this monstrosity, who has the Girl's eyes, Edie's nose and Sakura's mouth. Presumably the results would be less hideous with less extreme features.

Split face_comp.png
    800 x 800 - 763K
    Post edited by Gordig on
    Gordig said:

I used Shape Splitter to make this monstrosity, who has the Girl's eyes, Edie's nose and Sakura's mouth. Presumably the results would be less hideous with less extreme features.

That turned out really interesting! Definitely a solid recommendation for the Shape Spliter :) I think it will be much easier with it to create families with similar features which was what I was trying to do.