Victoria 8 Makeup Does Not Export

I guess there's a known issue that when you change Victoria 8's makeup in Daz, her face looks the same in the editor and the makeup is only visible in the render (discussed here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/176111/victoria-8-makeup-not-changing).

However, I think this might be related to another issue which is more than just an inconvenience.  When I export the basic Victoria 8 character as an FBX, the makeup does not get exported with the other textures.  So I end up with a character with no eyebrows.  

I have "Collect textures to folder" set in my export settings and I can see that when I export a character based on V8, like Elizabeth, I get a texture for the base face (FWSAElizabethFace_1001.jpg) as well as a .tif of that, and then also the makeup (FWSAElizabethFaceMU01_1001.jpg) and lips (FWSAElizabethFaceLips03_1001.jpg).  With base V8 I just get the face jpg, which lacks eyebrows.

It's only a minor inconvenience that Victoria 8 makeup only shows up in the render, but if it doesn't export that makes the character unusable.  Does anyone have any insight into what might be causing this?  Hopefully one of these seemingly related V8 makeup issues can shine light on the other, and I hope there's some workaround that will let me retrieve the face texture for V8.  Thanks.

Comments

• You would need to reapply the texture in your destination application, or use an image editor to composite the make up iamge over the base texture map and apply that in DS before export. FBX is not going to carry advanced material options over to another application, and even if it did the material would almost certainly require adjustment anyway.

• cdhorrigancdhorrigan Posts: 2
    edited April 2020

Thanks for the reply.  The problem is I don't have access to the texture.  Here is a screenshot of the textures (aside from clothing) that get exported.  The face has no eyebrows and there is no texture that has the makeup. Screenshot: https://ibb.co/G2HGjTP ;

Meanwhile, with other characters it works properly.  It exports textures for the makeup as well as the base face.  Screenshot: https://ibb.co/zJkpP62

I know how to reapply and modify the textures in their destination (Unity in this case) but I'm never given access to the one I need.  Maybe if I dig around in my computer I can find where Daz stores the available textures for the character and try grabbing that?*  It's just that this is a special case for one specific but highly mainstream character that does not behave appropriately.

*edit: I'm not sure if the textures are available in their unwrapped format... I just went into My Daz 3D Library on my comptuer and when I got down into the materials I got thumbnail images and .duf files, but not the unwrapped jpg you get from exporting.  And that makes sense because I imagine the texture map will look a little different depending on scene specifics and almost certainly needs to be generated as part of the export process.  But that's not happening for this character.

Post edited by cdhorrigan on
  • Check the installed file list - you must have the textures or you couldn't apply them (the presets jst list the maps and settings used, they are not themselves maps - you can see what is applied where in the Editor tab of the Surfaces pane, these make-ups usually go in the Diffuse Overlap property)

• Thank you!  I checked again at your suggestion and found the makeup textures under the Runtime folder.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,610

@cdhorrigan Just to let you know the diffeomorphic plugin exports makeups to blender. No adjustements needed they work fine out of the box. Grab the development version.

https://diffeomorphic.blogspot.com/p/daz-importer-version-14.html

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Make-up applied using L.I.E. will generate a new texture in your temp folder.  The problem I believe the OP is having is with make-up that is applied with the Diffuse Overlay of the Iray Ubershader.