Nothing works after moving files to a different hard drive

So I got another HDD to store my Daz files but after moving them, Daz can't find where any of my files are located even though the new HDD is the only content directory I have listed under the Daz Format. Even when I try to manually locate every file it can't find, it only allows me to locate a single file and then I just get told that everything else is missing. Is there any way to fix this or do I just have to reinstall everything?

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,205

Just to check.

You are aware that there is both a path in DIM and in Daz Studio?

• bttullbttull Posts: 5
    felis said:

Just to check.

You are aware that there is both a path in DIM and in Daz Studio?

I'm aware that there are two different places where you can change the directories inside of Daz Studio, is that what you're referring to? Nothing works except for the thumbnails, basically. I have all my content showing up in the content manager but when I go to create a character I get the base model and then I'm allowed to locate the torso texture (which applies just fine when located) and then I get a list of all the other files it can't find and won't give me a chance to locate. In DIM, everything is still showing up as installed even though the "My DAZ 3D Library" folder has been moved, so I assume that it's installing things somewhere else but when I go to the settings it lists 7 different install directories for different things so I'm struggling to unravel everything there as well.

I've found a few guides for this but they all seem complex beyond my comprehension I was thinking of just starting fresh but it doesn't seem like Daz even makes it simple to install anywhere other than the default directory so even that process has me a bit lost.

• If you can see the content thumbnails but not load the content that usually indicates that the content files are in a sub-directory of the content directory, rather than directly in the content directory. The Data and Runtime folders should be in the actual folder you have selected as a content directory.

DIM shows content as isntalled based on the files in the Manifests folder, it has nothing to do with whether or not they are in a folder visible to DS. You can, assuming DIM is pointing to the right folder, select everything in the Installed tab, right-click, and choose the option to reininstall using the current destination. One way to sync the directries, once theya re right in DS, is to download this script (using the link above the code) and drag it into the DS Viewport, with DIM closed: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/install_manager_config/start

So what I've done is copied and pasted the "My Daz 3D Library" folder from C:\Users\Public\Documents\ to D:\Daz Studio\ all of the folders, including data and runtime are there as well, so data is at D:\Daz Studio\My DAZ 3D Library\data when it was originally at C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\data. Is that not how it should be done? As for DIM, I don't really know how to point it to the right place because the content directory field doesn't seem to be editable and I don't know what to do with the other archive paths it's looking for.

DIM.PNG
    546 x 304 - 24K
    ContentDirectory.PNG
    458 x 361 - 19K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

In the Content Sets dialog in DAZStudio you want the entry under DAZ Studio Formats to read

D:\Daz Studio\My DAZ 3D Library

not D:\Daz Studio

and add that same path to Poser Formats as well.

In DIM, go to Advanced Settings > Installation and click the + sign in the lower left to add your new location (D:\Daz Studio\My DAZ 3D Library) and make sure that's the selected path when you install.

Oh, I see. That did it, thanks. I think that was what Richard was getting at but I didn't get it. Thanks guys, I was just about to uninstall everything and start fresh so you've saved me a lot of hassle.