Importing purchased assets from TurboSquid? [Solved]

Mark TMark T Posts: 40

Hi all

Another newb question (I'm on a roll!).

I'm considering buying a specific WW2 bomber model from TurboSquid for use in Daz, as there's nothing similar in Daz.

I note that TurboSquid offer free conversions as part of their service, but they also list a string of potential issues with file conversions (it's a generic list for all their conversions, not specific to this model).

The particular model I'm interested in is listed as being available in FBX or OBJ formats.

I'm just wondering if any other Daz users have had experience with buying and importing these kinds of models from TurboSquid and - if so - could feedback on their experiences and - more importantly - how to do the import!

Any info appreciated and please bear in mind my level of newness to all this.

Many thanks in advance smiley

VBW
M

Post edited by Mark T on

Comments

• OBJ will import without needing conversion, though it will not be posable (if the original is). The main concern would be rebuilding the materials, assuming the model is UV mapped and has textures (rather than using procedural materials).

• I've imported OBJ's many times. It can go very smoothly and sometimes the materials just don't work.

Before buying I'd get some more info than that it is in OBJ.

• Mark TMark T Posts: 40

Hi both

Here's the possibily relevant section from the item's description (if this helps):

In OBJ and FBX format.
    All properties are maintained. The meshes of the objects are independent. Materials and textures included. The ZIP file contains: OBJ file, MTL file, and original texture map JPG.

Optimized for integration in real environments and for close-ups.
    HD shapes with the minimum possible number of polygons.
    Quad topology.
    Ready to render.

In fact, the full product link is here: https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-avro-683-lancaster/766387

I think so long as I can switch off the undercarriage to simulate flight, I should be fine.

VBW
    M

• XelloszXellosz Posts: 742

You should try using this: https://www.daz3d.com/flying-fortress-warplane if you have time and don't want to mess around with materials and parts. It's already set up in DS.

edited January 2020
    Xellosz said:

You should try using this: https://www.daz3d.com/flying-fortress-warplane if you have time and don't want to mess around with materials and parts. It's already set up in DS.

Hi X

Unfortunately, the Lancaster is a specific requirement for the project I'm working on. But I'll bear the Flying Fortress in mind for the future.

VBW
    Mark

Post edited by Mark T on
  • Mark T said:

Hi both

Here's the possibily relevant section from the item's description (if this helps):

In OBJ and FBX format.
    All properties are maintained. The meshes of the objects are independent. Materials and textures included. The ZIP file contains: OBJ file, MTL file, and original texture map JPG.

Optimized for integration in real environments and for close-ups.
    HD shapes with the minimum possible number of polygons.
    Quad topology.
    Ready to render.

In fact, the full product link is here: https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-avro-683-lancaster/766387

I think so long as I can switch off the undercarriage to simulate flight, I should be fine.

VBW
    M

I assume you get both the OBJ and the DSON, assuming you choose that as your free file conversion. I certainly wouldn't want to spend $42 and not get both.

If the DSON is FUBAR then try to get the OBJ to work. Gebnerally speaking OBJ's of that sort have always worked for me.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited January 2020

There's a Lancaster at Renderosity and Vanishing Point, although I'm not sure if it's exactly the same type as the one you linked to at Turbosquid. Much cheaper, too. Poser format and loads in DAZ|Studio, so all the animatable bits and pieces (prop blur, wheels, turrets etc) will work. You might have to adjust materials settings if you're rendering in Iray. There's a basic cockpit, but not a lot of interior detail apart from a bomb bay with different loads to put in it.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

You shouldn't have any issue I'd think between having an OBJ with an MTL file (indicates textures of some sort) and an FBX should give you that plus rigging for props, control surfs, etc.

I'd definitely check the Rendero version as well though as mentioned.  Their models of actual things such as cars, planes, etc. tend to be a bit more faithful lets say than here. Some sort of hyper paranoia over copyright issues or something; I really don't know. TSquid's got good stuff so if it's in the budget, why worry. 

HI all

Many thanks for all the notes and suggestions.

Unfortunately, when I search on 'Lancaster' at Renderosity…I get another B17 model! I don't know, people and tagging...frown

So, I think it's back to TurboSquid again! I'll ask their saleteam about how many format conversions they'll provide for the price.

Total sidenote: given the possible (though unlikely) copyright concerns over the possible use of the Lancaster for the new project I'm working on - a wartime memoir - I've tracked down and got permission from the aircraft's current IP rights holder. So I also got to be Columbo for a day. That was fun...

VBW
    M

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Generally there is only ever problems is the model they are converting for you is only in MAX or MAYA or one of those expense modeling program formats. And if you get the right person there converting for you they generally get it "most of the way" there although you may have to do some adjustments. You are allowed to return within a set number of days for most purchases too.

• nyrx99nyrx99 Posts: 10

The Lancaster doesn't appear to be available at renderosity any more, but it looks like you can still get it directly from VanishingPoint's site.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited January 2020

The product page on Turbosquid is informatice and seems promising.  The Turbosquid pages also lists Blender as one of the formats so if need be, you could download the Blend file as well as the OBJ and FBX.  You can group the individual OBJs in DS using the Group nulls for easier workflow. 

That is also not the only Lancaster they have on Turbosquid.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,405
    edited January 2020

There is apparently this free one in poser format, not sure if it's any good though.

https://sharecg.com/v/55094/browse/5/3D-Model/AVRO-Manchester-Lancaster

In relation to the one on turbosquid, the fact that it comes with the blend file means you can probably always download blender and then covert to obj file to your liking (if the obj file it comes with has issues).

Post edited by lilweep on

HI all

Oddly, the entire Vanishing Point site seems to be offline this morning. They remain ellusive!

Re: TurboSquid: I checked out themother Lanc models and the $42 file seemed to be the best for for what I needed (inc budget), so will likely give that a go. I've got a call into their customer service about how many download formats they'll allow, but have yet to hear back yet.

VBW
    M

edited January 2020

Hi all

Well, took the plunge and bought the model from Turbosquid.

So, I got access to the following

• An HD .obj package
    • A standard .obj package
    • A Blender .blender file
    • a .FBX package

Now, when it come to using anything 3D beyond the confines of Daz3D and buying from the Daz store, I'm a mostly total noob.

Here's what I've discovered in the short while I've been trying to access and use the various files...

In Daz: I can't import the .objs.

To expand, I'm running Daz 4.12.0.86 on an iMac.

When I go to import and navigate to - say - the HD folder and open that, I find three enclosed files: .obj, .mtl and a JPEG. Using the import command, the .obj is greyed out.

So, no joy there.

In Daz: the .fbx imports, but all messed up.

If I use the Daz import command I can open the .fbx - and it seems as if itretains its textures (though I haven't tried to render it at all) - but the various mesh bits are all centred.

So, no real joy there, either.

In Blender (which I zero experince in!): I can open the Blender file, but there don't seem to be any applied textures.

I can also open and edit the .obj files - I need to delete the wheels and open bomb bay for my project - and re-save / re-export that .obj.

In PhotoShop CC2020: I can open the edited .obj and pose and light it, using PhotoShop's 3D mode.

So, so far, I have a bit of a win with Photoshop - of all programs - allowing me to get on and do something.

Anyone got any idea why Daz won't import the .objs?

PS: I stress again my total lack of knowledge in this area.

VBW
    M

Post edited by Mark T on
  • Are you using Catalina? There is an issue with the file dialogues in DS there - the current Public Build addresses those, and should allow you to import the OBJ (which you could then save to a Scene or Scene Subset for use in the General Release if you wished). https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta

Hi Richard

Yes: MacOS 10.15.2

Very many thanks for that.

Will; download the Beta and give it a go!

VBW
    M

HI Richard

Bingo. That worked.

Thanks so much!

VBW
    M

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited January 2020

For Mark, or anyone interested, the free one that lilweep referenced at ShareCG, by Neil Wilson, isn't bad, depending upon how much detail you want. It is very customizable to reflect variants or configuration. Here is a quick 3Delight render without any materials tweaking, with the landing gear deployed. Prop blur is included.

LancTest1.jpg
    800 x 439 - 149K
    Post edited by SixDs on

SixDs said:

For Mark, or anyone interested, the free one that lilweep referenced at ShareCG, by Neil Wilson, isn't bad, depending upon how much detail you want.

Hi SixD

Many thanks for the suggestion. Where would I find that model?

VBW

M

edited January 2020

Hi all

So, just to let you know where I got to, and how...

As I was working to a fairly quick deadline, I eventually ended up doing the main pose and lighting of the TurboSquid Lancatser model in PhotoShop CC2020.

Some of the reasons for this touched upon in previous posts.

One of things that made me duck out of Daz on this occasion was a materials issue.

To explain further: I first opened and amended the obj in Blender - I basically knocked off it's wheels - and then resaved that back to an .obj.

I then opened and saved that .obj in the current Daz3d Beta build (as I'm on a Mac and the current main Daz release can't open external .objs, or - indeed - any file other than 'recents') following Richard Haseltine's advice. Doing this allowed me to save a scene which I could then open in the current Daz release.

When I did manage to get to the new scene in Daz 4.12, I noted the model was mostly fine apart from the cockpit and other 'perspex / plexiglass' transparencies: these appeared to be very milky and mostly opaque.

The model consists of only three .jpeg surfaces and - even though I knew which one controlled those transparencies - no matter what surface parameters I adjusted - I couldn't improve or change that appearence. Any idea where I may have be going wrong and / or what I need to focus on more? As before, I'm a total novice at this in some ways.

Also, for interest, attached is a crop of thefinal Photoshop rendered image that will be appearing on the book cover shortly.

Any guidance appreciated.

VBW
    M

DAZ3D-FORUM-CROP-_xl-LANC-v2-DAZ-ISSUE.jpg
    1106 x 1000 - 159K
    DAZ3D-FORUM-CROP-_xl-LANC-v2A.jpg
    1500 x 1021 - 275K
    Post edited by Mark T on
  • SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

Nice work, Mark! I didn't notice your question regarding Neil Wilson's model, but the link is in lilweep's post above. If you are unfamiliar, ShareCG is pretty safe and Neil has a collection of aircraft models available there downloadable for free. Sadly, Neil passed away four years ago, but his legacy of models remain available at ShareCG. He was a very generous and decent fellow, with a passion for vintage aviation.

Nice work, Mark! I didn't notice your question regarding Neil Wilson's model, but the link is in lilweep's post above. If you are unfamiliar, ShareCG is pretty safe and Neil has a collection of aircraft models available there downloadable for free. Sadly, Neil passed away four years ago, but his legacy of models remain available at ShareCG. He was a very generous and decent fellow, with a passion for vintage aviation.

Hi SixD

Many thanks for the extra info (and compliment!).

Oddly, the link in lilweep's post didn't show up on my initial reading, but will have a trawl through ShareCG later. 

Very sorry to hear about Neil. It's strange to think that we're all creating content that will likely outlive us. 
    Thanks again. 
    M

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Nice work! Conversion hell survived ;)

Paintbox said:

Nice work! Conversion hell survived ;)

Thx! smiley

VBW

M

Hi all

Can anyone give any guidnace on my other query (which was kind of buried in my earlier comment).

Mark T said:

When I did manage to get to the new scene in Daz 4.12, I noted the model was mostly fine apart from the cockpit and other 'perspex / plexiglass' transparencies: these appeared to be very milky and mostly opaque.

The model consists of only three .jpeg surfaces and - even though I knew which one controlled those transparencies - no matter what surface parameters I adjusted - I couldn't improve or change that appearence. Any idea where I may have be going wrong and / or what I need to focus on more?

Please bear in my mind my earlier point that the evnetual render was excuted in Photoshop as I couldn't fix the transparency issue in Daz.

Any guidance appreciated.

VBW
    M

• Select the model, select the transparent surfaces, and apply one of the glass presets from Shaders>Iray>Glass in the Presets tab (or just adjust the Cutout Opacity in the Editor tab).

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    Mark T said:

The model consists of only three .jpeg surfaces and - even though I knew which one controlled those transparencies - no matter what surface parameters I adjusted - I couldn't improve or change that appearence. Any idea where I may have be going wrong and / or what I need to focus on more?

That's very odd. What happened when you selected the "perspex" surface and applied one of the glass materials that are included in D|S? Which one would work best depends on whether the perspex is only one thickness of polygons, or if it has inside and outside surfaces. (There are various glass material sets in the store, and I have some of them, but the included materials are perfectly OK for medium and long shots like you're doing here.)

Also, that's an excellent final image. I wish I could be half as good a Photoshop wrangler...

Select the model, select the transparent surfaces, and apply one of the glass presets from Shaders>Iray>Glass in the Presets tab (or just adjust the Cutout Opacity in the Editor tab).

Cheers Richard

I'll give that a go tomorrow!

VBW
    M

Mark T said:
    That's very odd. What happened when you selected the "perspex" surface and applied one of the glass materials that are included in D|S? Which one would work best depends on whether the perspex is only one thickness of polygons, or if it has inside and outside surfaces. (There are various glass material sets in the store, and I have some of them, but the included materials are perfectly OK for medium and long shots like you're doing here.).
    Mark T said:
    Also, that's an excellent final image. I wish I could be half as good a Photoshop wrangler...

Hi SK

...and this is where the limits of my knowledge come in. And hopefully you - and Richard - have just expanded them!

I'm learning more and more as I go. And doing more 3D stuff is becoming more important for my work as it progresses. I've been lucky to have worked on 3 projects recently - two scifi and this WW2 one - that have used Daz in one form or another and I've been quite pleased with the results on each. I'll share them when they've been officially released.

Thanks for the image and Photoshop comments. Fortunately, that's the one area where I normally know what I'm doing!

VBW
    M